PDA

View Full Version : The Benefits of Oils

Fatcat
12-25-2011, 07:32 PM
I have noticed a lot of people have been talking about putting oils over there hounds feed, ( such as wheat germ,cod oil, fish oil etc.) Was wondering what are the benefits of doing such?? And may be what is each individual supplement good for...

Officially Retired
12-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Adding specific oils to your dog’s diet will drive your food costs up a little, but if you can afford to do this I recommend it highly. Oils are used primarily as a source of clean fuel for your dogs to burn, and unlike humans, dogs burn fats and oils much more efficiently than we do. Dogs also do not seem to be bothered by any kind of cholesterol either. The difference in efficiency between a dog burning oils for energy, as opposed to a dog burning carbs for energy, can be likened to the difference between burning a tallow candle for light versus burning paper for light: one (the tallow candle) burns much longer and much cleaner, leaving no waste behind, while the other (the paper) burns much brighter at first, but burns-up quickly, and it leaves a lot waste behind. Using oils in your dogs’ diet is like burning a tallow candle, while using carbs in a dog’s diet is like burning paper, and this is especially important to remember when conditioning a dog with hard work. Using carbs as a source of energy causes a dog to burn bright and then fizzle out, producing the “waste” of lactic acid build-up in his muscles, while using oils for energy not only lasts longer but it leaves no such waste. Now, while most oils simply offer clean-burning energy for your dogs, a few oils offer key nutrients as well. So let’s take a look and compare some of the more common nutritional oils:

[center:1xup9uq0]Oil Comparison
(Serving size = 1 tBsp)[/center:1xup9uq0]
Coconut Oil:
Calories: 119
Total Fat: 14g (21%)
Saturated Fat: 12g (58%)
Cholesterol: 0 mg (0%)
Vitamin A: 0 IU (0%)
Vitamin D: 0 IU (0%)
Vitamin E: 0 mg (0%)
Vitamin K 0.1 mcg (0%)
Total Omega-3 fatty acids: 0 mg
Total Omega-6 fatty acids: 243 mg

Cod Liver Oil:
Calories: 122
Saturated Fat: 3g (15%)
Cholesterol: 77mg (26%)
Vitamin A: 13502 IU (270%)
Vitamin D: 1350 IU (338%)
Vitamin K: 0 mcg (0%)
Total Omega-3 fatty acids: 2664 mg
Total Omega-6 fatty acids: 126 mg

Flax Seed Oil:
Saturated Fat: 1g (6%)
Vitamin E: 2.4 mg (12%)
Total Omega-3 fatty acids: 7196 mg
Total Omega-6 fatty acids: 1715 mg

Salmon Oil:
Saturated Fat: 3g (13%)
Cholesterol: 65mg (22%)
Total Omega-3 fatty acids: 4767 mg
Total Omega-6 fatty acids: 208 mg

Sardine Oil:
Saturated Fat: 4g (20%)
Cholesterol: 96mg (32%)
Vitamin D: 44.8 IU (11%)
Total Omega-3 fatty acids: 3253 mg
Total Omega-6 fatty acids: 272 mg

Wheat Germ Oil:
Saturated Fat: 3g (13%)
Vitamin E: 20.2 mg (101%)
Vitamin K: 3.3 mcg (4%)
Total Omega-3 fatty acids: 932 mg
Total Omega-6 fatty acids: 7398 mg

As you can see from the above data, these common oils all provide roughly the same calories and grams of fat per tBsp, with the fish oils supplying a bit more. The biggest difference in the oils centers around which oils provide the most Omega 3 fatty acids (Flax) and which oil provides the most Omega 6 fatty acids (Wheat Germ). The fish oils all provide some cholesterol, which is fine for a dog and nothing to worry about, unlike with humans, while the plant-sourced oils do not supply any cholesterol. However, another important distinction is the fact some oils (Cod Liver/Wheat Germ) offer significant amounts of the fat-soluble Vitamins A, D, and E. However, fat-soluble vitamins add-up every day, which can cause toxic overdoses if continued indefinitely, and in the case of cod liver oil only 1 tBsp of this gives triple the amount of Vitamins A and D that a human being needs, let alone a dog. A dog should get 2 tBsp (= 30 ml = 1 ounce) of any oil with his feed, which in the case of cod liver oil would translate to six-times the Vitamin A and D that would be needed. So really, the only reason to give a dog cod liver oil would be if it had rickets or needed massive amounts of Vitamin D for some reason. Otherwise, steer clear of using cod liver oil on your dogs, except in very small doses (which can really benefit growing pups).

In the case of wheat germ oil, though, we have a literal Godsend, in that wheat germ oil offers just about exactly the right daily amount of Vitamin E—a crucial vitamin to both reproductive function as well as for rebuilding health. And, finally, flax seed oil is king of the Omega 3 fatty acids.

As a daily supplement to the feed, I think salmon oil is great. You aren’t really giving any key nutrients, per se, but you are providing a great fat source for the dog’s coat and energy, as well as the tastiest form of oil there is (dogs love salmon oil!). However, if you are specifically trying to build sperm in a male however, I recommend the wheat germ. Both of these oils can be expensive, with salmon oil often going for $1.24/ounce and wheat germ oil often going for $1.00/ounce (which again is 2 tBsp). To find ways to save big bucks on purchasing oil in volume, I recommend that you buy The Pit Bull Bible (http://www.thepitbullbible.com/), and read the nutrition section very carefully ;)

Cheers,

Jack

12-30-2011, 07:45 PM
My question? how do i mix the oil like you said you do on your raw feed diet.

Officially Retired
12-31-2011, 04:45 AM
Just put them together in equal parts :D

Steeldog
01-01-2012, 05:59 PM
I can't afford salmon oil. But as an alternative what is the difference between Omega 3-fatty acid(Flax) vs Omega 6-fatty acid(Wheat Germ Oil). My bulldog has been on a RAW diet but still seems allergenic to something. I figure the extra vitamin E in Wheat Germ would be good for his skin and coat.

Officially Retired
01-02-2012, 01:30 AM
I can't afford salmon oil. But as an alternative what is the difference between Omega 3-fatty acid(Flax) vs Omega 6-fatty acid(Wheat Germ Oil). My bulldog has been on a RAW diet but still seems allergenic to something. I figure the extra vitamin E in Wheat Germ would be good for his skin and coat.

Omega 3 and Omega 6 are types of essential fatty acids, which means we cannot make them on our own, so we have to obtain them from our diet. Regarding the difference between the 2 Omegas, the Omega 3 is by far the most important, because Omega 6s are contained in all kinds of oils (even those that make up junk food), while sources for good Omega 3s are much more limited. This is why there is such hooplah about Flax Oil, because it is an awesome source of Omega 3s.

The unfortunate truth about Wheat Germ Oil is that, while it is an incredible source of Vitamin E, it also has a very high inflammatory effect (see this chart (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/505/2)), and wheat in general can have strong allergic properties so I would suspect this constituent above all others. You might want to try Rice Bran Oil as a substitute for Wheat Germ Oil, because it too contains a high amount of Vitamin E, but is much less likely to cause allergy.

Jack

Steeldog
01-02-2012, 07:07 AM

Omega 3 and Omega 6 are types of essential fatty acids, which means we cannot make them on our own, so we have to obtain them from our diet. Regarding the difference between the 2 Omegas, the Omega 3 is by far the most important, because Omega 6s are contained in all kinds of oils (even those that make up junk food), while sources for good Omega 3s are much more limited. This is why there is such hooplah about Flax Oil, because it is an awesome source of Omega 3s.

The unfortunate truth about Wheat Germ Oil is that, while it is an incredible source of Vitamin E, it also has a very high inflammatory effect (see this chart (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/505/2)), and wheat in general can have strong allergic properties so I would suspect this constituent above all others. You might want to try Rice Bran Oil as a substitute for Wheat Germ Oil, because it too contains a high amount of Vitamin E, but is much less likely to cause allergy.

Jack

Thanks Jack. Makes sense . I figure it had to be either the yogurt, eggs, or least likely the wheat germ oil causing the allergies in his diet. I still have 3/4 gallon of wheat germ so I'll have to figure what I'll do with it. Maybe save it for later or mix oils.

lilpitgirl
01-09-2012, 02:26 PM
what about hemp seed oil ?

01-10-2012, 11:14 AM
I just started giving my dogs salmon oil,flax seed oil,wheat germ oil bout 3 weeks ago.so far so good no allergies n the really love the stuff.It is damn pricey though.I give it to them bout 4 times a week.wish i could afford to give it to them everyday

Officially Retired
01-11-2012, 06:40 AM
I just started giving my dogs salmon oil,flax seed oil,wheat germ oil bout 3 weeks ago.so far so good no allergies n the really love the stuff.It is damn pricey though.I give it to them bout 4 times a week.wish i could afford to give it to them everyday

It is hugely expensive in general, but not so bad per-ounce if you get it from the supplier recommended in my book.

Jack

Officially Retired
01-11-2012, 06:42 AM
what about hemp seed oil ?

The resource I use (http://www.nutritiondata.com) doesn't have a listing for hemp oil.

Perhaps you can Google it and find out.

Jack

lilpitgirl
01-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Typical Product Specification & Analys (Per 100 ML)

Color- Bold Green
Odor- Slight nutty odor/characteristic
Calories- 830cal
Protein- Not Tested
Carbohydrates- Not Tested
Fat- 99.9%
Ash- Not Tested
Moisture- 0%
Cholesterol- Not Tested
Beta Carotene- 36.8 IU/100g
pH value- 6.14
THC- none detected
Free Fatty Acids- 0.24% (as Oleic acid)
Peroxide Value- 0.70% meq/kg
Typical Fatty Acid Profile (Per 100 ML)

Myristic Acid 0.11 0.12%
Palmitic Acid 5.65 6.15%
Steric Acid 1.96 2.14%
Oleic Acid (Omega 9) 9.85 10.71%
Linoleic Acid (Omega 6) 51.96 56.48%
CLA 0.76 0.83%
Arachidic Acid 0.66 0.72%
Gamma Linolenic Acid 3.60 3.92%
Linolenic Acid (Omega 3) 16.07 17.47%
Stearidonic Acid 0.76 0.83%
Behenic Acid 0.22 0.24%
still dont know how this would work for the dogs dont know there amino needs I do know it has all the essential amino acids I guess I need to research the dogs needs dont

Jaystreets
01-19-2012, 07:53 PM
whats the downside to feeding wheat germ oil over long periods of time if any?

Officially Retired
01-20-2012, 04:04 AM
If there is no allergic reaction to the wheat, there really aren't any downsides.

However, as Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin, it can build-up to a toxic level eventually if too much is given ... therefore, I personally cycle the oils (like 3 days on, 2 days off, etc.).

Jack

Jaystreets
01-21-2012, 09:35 AM
If there is no allergic reaction to the wheat, there really aren't any downsides.

However, as Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin, it can build-up to a toxic level eventually if too much is given ... therefore, I personally cycle the oils (like 3 days on, 2 days off, etc.).

Jack

thanks 8-)