PDA

View Full Version : throwing up the day after feeding chicken leg(s)

R2L
06-24-2012, 02:38 AM
I keep one dog inside, he's on grind raw meat all day, and once in a while i give him something to chew on like a chicken leg, added with some liver and vitamin mineral complex.
Now i notice, 5 out of 10 time in the morning after he ate a leg, he needs to throw up. It looks like when a dog throws up with an empty stomach and sometimes there also 1 little piece of bone with it that isn't digested yet.

I was thinking, maybe he has some trouble with more sour that's in need to digest with the leg, then he usually needs with the raw.. which digest allot easier.

Any thoughts?

Officially Retired
06-24-2012, 02:45 AM
Is it an older dog?

He might have a problem digesting bones(?)

Jack

R2L
06-24-2012, 03:02 AM
No he's 3,5. There must be some problem yes but for the rest he's fine and his stool is good.
Today he only threw up the yellow stuff, no bone so i guess its properly digested, some other times he also threw up 1 little piece of bone.

Nash
06-24-2012, 03:07 AM
First time for the dog ?

R2L
06-24-2012, 04:26 AM
Nope he's on raw since pup and had plenty of bone meat since.

Officially Retired
06-24-2012, 04:55 AM
You should check out The Merck Veterinary Manual for Malabsorption (http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/182907.htm) in Dogs.

It could be a genetic, pancreatic, or disease-generated (e.g., coccidia/giardia) condition unique to that dog.

Jack

Nash
06-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Nope he's on raw since pup and had plenty of bone meat since.

Alright, i had the same with my old dog. He doesn't take to chicken quarters very well. I had the idea it was because his digestive system was not used to it. I see a raw feed (whole animal ) still differs from a ready made raw feed. Takes some time to get used to for the dog perhaps ?

With my old dog i kept it on for a few days and he stopped throwing it up. Back to the ready made feed with him and when i give him a quarter every now and than he doesn't have the problem anymore.