PDA

View Full Version : THE HEAT IS ON!!!

turkd3000
06-30-2012, 09:21 AM
103 yesterday and it's supposed to be 104 today,my hounds aren't eating in this heat so i put power aid in their water.what else can i give them in this type of heat to help make up for them not eating?

No Quarter Kennel
06-30-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm in the panhandle of texas an 103 has been our BEST day this week. Today, we might stay a hair under that.

I make sure my dogs have plenty of water to get in. Lots of shade and tons of water.

I don't know what you feed, but I feed RAW and they still eat. There's a ton of moisture/water in their food, so that helps as well. Even if you don't feed RAW, it might be a good idea if only temporary so they get their nutrional needs. Even if it's only chicken quarters.

R2L
06-30-2012, 11:52 AM
That should do ;)

They don't eat late in the evening/night either?

QCK23
06-30-2012, 01:22 PM
We are in Georgia and it hit 109 today, we feed raw and have had no problem with the dogs eating....we have brought some of the dogs inside even though we have to keep them in crates for a few days.

turkd3000
06-30-2012, 04:29 PM
thanks guys,are there any other kibble feeders out there having this problem?

unknow kennel
06-30-2012, 06:41 PM
i mix kibble in raw when they stop eat in that do the trick most of the time

Officially Retired
07-01-2012, 06:05 AM
Why don't you kibble-feeders "take a hint" and realize feeding kibble is inferior to feeding raw?

You actually DEHYDRATE your dogs by feeding kibble, and what dog wants to be dehydrated while it's sitting in 105+ degree heat? Would you want to eat a bowl-full of bone-dry pellets while you're frying your as off in the sun?

The biological facts are staring you in the face and yet you still can't see them :rolleyes:

It is truly amazing to me that people place "their own convenience" over all else when it comes to the care of their animals.

Jack

OGDOGG
07-01-2012, 06:53 AM
cleaner teeth
shinier coats and healthier skin
no bad breath
lots of energy
less fat, and more muscle
bright eyes
smaller, firmer, less smelly stools
less health problems and less vet bills
And water bowls are a front for AC

R2L
07-01-2012, 09:27 AM
What does this mean?

Agree kibbles dehydrate your dog or at least makes them more thirsty.
If i give my housedog 500 gr of raw which consists of 60 % water.(300ml) He doesnt even drink a drup extra out of his bowl.
When i gave him kibbles he drank at least twice as much each day.
Fluids in meat are also much healthier and efficient to your dogs then tap water

scratchin dog
07-01-2012, 11:07 AM

What does this mean?

He doesnt even drink a drup extra out of his bowl.

What OGDOGG was trying to say is that if AC comes by, the water bowls are always full cause a dog on raw hardly ever drinks. ;)

Officially Retired
07-01-2012, 12:41 PM
AC = Animal Control

R2L
07-01-2012, 12:56 PM
thanks i see.. yea you can filling them

DARTMASTER
07-01-2012, 08:35 PM
My dogs are chillin in the AC while im out delivering mail in this 100° weather

Officially Retired
07-02-2012, 04:21 AM
Different kind of AC :lol:

Dogman
07-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Lots of water and shade. Although kibble has very little to no moisture in it, those that do feed kibble can easily solve that problem by adding some water to the kibble.

Officially Retired
07-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Lots of water and shade. Although kibble has very little to no moisture in it, those that do feed kibble can easily solve that problem by adding some water to the kibble.

Actually, this is a great fallacy kibble-feeders like to fool themselves into believing.

The truth is adding "some water" to kibble does not solve any problem.

You merely add "not enough" water to a nutritionally-devalued brown pellet ... and, even with "some water" added, in the end the dog will still need to drink a ton more than a raw-fed dog ... and he will not be able to enjoy the same nutrition profile as he would have been able to enjoy, had those same ingredients simply been fed raw to begin with.

Jack

Dogman
07-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Great fallacy? I don't think so. A lot of dog men add water to there kibble and it WORKS!!!!.

The Truth is adding SOME (which could mean any amount) water to kibble does SOLVE the problem of DEHYDRATION.

In FACT by adding some water in the kibble it will have more moisture and water then you could EVER get in Raw feed alone. In Raw feed there is like around 1-2 oz of water depending on how much raw you are feeding. In kibble if need be I can add 16oz of water or more. Do the math and tell me which one has more water? The facts don't lie.

As for the nutritionally devalued brown pellet it all depends on the quality of the kibble you buy. If you buy Ol roy the nutritional value is poor, but if you buy Orijen the nutritional value is higher.

As for the ENJOYMENT part, now that sounds like some AR activists talk, its like asking someone which would they enjoy more, a juicy deluxe hamburger with all the fixings with spicy curly cajun fries OR a high quality pharm. grade protein bar? LOL

Officially Retired
07-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Great fallacy? I don't think so. A lot of dog men add water to there kibble and it WORKS!!!!.

You are entitled to think what you want, but that doesn't make what you think accurate.

It doesn't matter what "a lot of dogmen do," the fact is adding too much straight water to nutritionally-devalued pellets dilutes the dog's digestive juices, resulting in poor assimilation of whatever nutrition is left in those pellets.

The Truth is adding SOME (which could mean any amount) water to kibble does SOLVE the problem of DEHYDRATION.

Not so.

First of all, raw meat is 70% water, which means the water weight is more than 2:1 in ratio to the solid weight. Secondly, no one waters their kibble-fed dogs at a ratio of 2x water 1x kibble (which is what they'd have to do to equal raw).

Thirdly, kibble is harder to digest than the raw meat it started out as, so not only are you diluting the acid content of the stomach with a massive influx of artificially-introduced water, but the body has to work harder to digest the poorly-digestible kibble.

The FACT is, with raw, not only is the water contained within the meat (thereby being processed slowly in the stomach, rather than totally diluting the acid content with a bunch of uncontained water), but raw meat is simply easier to digest than ultra-cooked kibble. It is presented in its most digestible state, and all of the associated enzymes are still there to aid in the digestion.

You are simply mistaken on many different levels.

In FACT by adding some water in the kibble it will have more moisture and water then you could EVER get in Raw feed alone. In Raw feed there is like around 1-2 oz of water depending on how much raw you are feeding. In kibble if need be I can add 16oz of water or more. Do the math and tell me which one has more water? The facts don't lie.

You are simply ignorant. And what you call "facts" is merely your total misunderstanding of what is going on in the stomach (not to mention your utterly ignoring the digestibility/nutritional differences between raw and processed kibbles).

"More water" all at once in the stomach is simply NOT GOOD. It is not good for digestion, and it does NOT solve the dehydration issue, because most of the water gets passed.

There will simply NEVER be a kibble-fed dog who "drinks less" than a raw-fed dog.

As for the nutritionally devalued brown pellet it all depends on the quality of the kibble you buy. If you buy Ol roy the nutritional value is poor, but if you buy Orijen the nutritional value is higher.

Again you are missing the point completely, as kibble-feeders are notorious for doing in their efforts at self-justification.

Yes, I agree, Orijen is better for a dog than Ol' Roy ... but it is NOT better for a dog than the same Orijen ingredients FED RAW.

Or are you trying to sit there with a straight face and say that the ingredients in Orijen, in dry/devalued kibbled form are "as nutritious" as they were in their ORIGINAL RAW form?

As for the ENJOYMENT part, now that sounds like some AR activists talk, its like asking someone which would they enjoy more, a juicy deluxe hamburger with all the fixings with spicy curly cajun fries OR a high quality pharm. grade protein bar? LOL

You are getting down to a pretty low level of debate here by calling me an AR activist. Worse, your analogy is ridiculous, and it really seems like you don't seem to be able to maintain focus on a single accurate point.

Case in point: a pharmaceutical-grade protein bar is not raw, nor is a juicy hamburger anywhere near as devalued as kibble is.
Therefore, you need to learn to make better associations in your mind before you can really understand what you're talking about.

A better analogy would be comparing a raw, wholesome carrot ... pulled up fresh out of the ground, washed, and eaten in its natural state ... to a dehydrated carrot in a Cup O' Noodles soup, where you have to "add water" to reconstitute what's left of the dehydrated carrot. Or trying to compare the nutritional value of a juicy steak ... to a dehydrated "meat pellet" in an army ration. There is simply no comparison in the nutritional value.

Yes, the raw veggies and juicy steaks are not only more enjoyable to eat, they are a thousand times healthier to eat as well ... than if they were cooked and totally dehydrated first, with water added later.

And there is no educated person who can deny this.

Jack

Dogman
07-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Alright Jack , I am not going to argue with you any further as you seem to be getting upset. You are entitled to your OWN opinion, just like every other dog men are entitled to there's.

Officially Retired
07-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Alright Jack , I am not going to argue with you any further as you seem to be getting upset.

That's your choice of course, and I am sorry if I seem upset, because I really had a great day today :)

You are entitled to your OWN opinion, just like every other dog men are entitled to there's.

I fully agree with you that everyone is entitled to his own opinion ... but this does not mean all opinions/beliefs are correct.

If you really don't want to address any of the issues I raised, that is your choice.

Hopefully it is possible to debate a topic without "arguing" in a bad way.

Jack