PDA

View Full Version : age to start breeding a male

redmistkennel
07-01-2012, 10:27 PM
I know age isn't going to make a dog a better producer but what is the youngest you would breed a male? The owners happy with him and has no intention of looking at him. He is the only dog he has bred that way and he can't get another and plans on just using him as a stud dog. He might do some adba conformation shows in the future with him and the dog just turned a year old. He is catching heat from haters that the dog is not mature enough to breed till it is at least 2-3 years old. What do you think Jack or any others?

skipper
07-01-2012, 10:32 PM
IF he has no intention in evaluate the dog, I don't see why he can't start breeding him now. He wont produce better dogs at 3yo.

redmistkennel
07-01-2012, 10:41 PM
I agree and this is what I told him. Even offered up my own bitch when she comes in. Which is what he wants to breed him to for pups. Just thought maybe there was another reason to wait that I wasn't thinking about.

redmistkennel
07-01-2012, 10:43 PM
I also told him better to know sooner how he produces instead of putting in all the extra years of waiting then find out in 5 years he can't produce well.

skipper
07-01-2012, 10:54 PM
He must be really nicely bred if you decide to breed to him without evaluation. What I don't get is why not? Let him go to school so you at least know what traits he carries. I know what to expect out of my dogs. But I wont take it for granted.

redmistkennel
07-01-2012, 11:02 PM
The guy is not into dogs in that way. He is getting into conformation showing. All the dogs close up in the ped have been evaluated and also winning in the conformation ring. They are working well as catch dogs also.

skipper
07-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Okok I see. Good luck with him and the pups.

redmistkennel
07-01-2012, 11:19 PM
I think he will be happy with what he gets. My bitches first litter to my stud are coming along great so if his male can produce she should give him what he wants. Just trying to help a friend and hopefully get a good one out of it.

skipper
07-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Thats nice of you!

redmistkennel
07-02-2012, 01:10 AM
Well we both have a lil something extra to gain and I think they will work great for what he wants.

Officially Retired
07-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Technically-speaking, "A dog can either produce, or it can't, regardless of what it is itself" (Boudreaux), but why not have a look and see what the traits are?

Jack

redmistkennel
07-02-2012, 08:15 PM
I agree Jack but I am not going to force a guy to do something he doesn't believe in or care about. He is only worried about making conformation dogs. My particular dislike on the dog is that his mom is double bred daughter of shumards red legacy.

Officially Retired
07-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Not to pry, but just curious as to why you would breed to a dog who is both untouched and double-bred on a questionable animal.

If game/talented dogs is your #1 priority, then breeding to an untouched dog out of a questionable background doesn't seem worth the investment of 4 months of gestation/puppy raising, a heat cycle of your bitch, and then 2 years of waiting on those pups.

If, however, you too are only into conformation yourself, then I fully understand, because then it is all about looks, which you should be able to see by now.

Just some thoughts to consider,

Jack

redmistkennel
07-03-2012, 08:33 PM
If I keep any of them they will be conformation shows till maturity and then given a chance to hunt. If they won't hunt but do good at shows I would not go any further with them but they could go to a show breeder. No matter what it will be a gamble for me but my friend will get what he wants.

nationalboy
09-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Well said..my young male tied up with one of my yuoung bitches which when you look at it is
one heel of a breeding just there to young in my opinion. Hope i havent aloowed a terrible thing...