PDA

View Full Version : FREEZING SEEMEN

Xavier101
07-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Hi Jack

I would like to know can I draw semen out of a male and mix it with the semen extender, keep it chill and take it the next day to a vet to freez it for me to use in a couple of years time or
does the semen extender not work this way aswell?

scary
07-06-2012, 07:20 PM
1. http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/content.php?145 2. http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/content.php?146

Xavier101
07-07-2012, 09:52 AM
This does not answer my question, I WANTS TO KNOW CAN YOU ADD THE SEMEN EXTENDER TO THE SEMEN AND THERE AFTER TAKE IT TO A LAB FOR FREEZING, FOR THE USE OF IT IN YEARS TO COME?

Xavier101
07-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Please Jack can you comment on this maybe you can help me plz.

Nash
07-09-2012, 09:56 AM
No, the quality will be decreasing when you collect and keep it in an extender, than it decreases some more freezing it for storage, than it decreases from defrosting. In the end you might as well breed to dust. Get the stud to the vet !

SteelyDan
12-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Hi Jack

I would like to know can I draw semen out of a male and mix it with the semen extender, keep it chill and take it the next day to a vet to freez it for me to use in a couple of years time or
does the semen extender not work this way aswell?

NO. After collecting it must be centrifuged to isolate only the semen then extended a few times before u can put it into straws.

TFX
12-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Nobody has ever centrifuged semen I have collected.

You really can't do it yourself. First of all, every extender "recipe" works differently with different animals. Ideally, you need to waste a collection testing extenders before you know which extender to use with each particular dog. The semen is frozen, thawed, and the several extender samples tested to see which extender has the best counts. Now you are set to freeze the next collections from the dog knowing which extender to use for guaranteed results.

Sperm count and motility will diminish in your proposed scenario, as Nash pointed out.

Officially Retired
01-20-2013, 08:03 AM
This does not answer my question, I WANTS TO KNOW CAN YOU ADD THE SEMEN EXTENDER TO THE SEMEN AND THERE AFTER TAKE IT TO A LAB FOR FREEZING, FOR THE USE OF IT IN YEARS TO COME?

Most labs do the collecting right there.

Why do you want to "send" semen to the lab, rather than just have the dog collected right there?

SteelyDan
01-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Nobody has ever centrifuged semen I have collected.

You really can't do it yourself. First of all, every extender "recipe" works differently with different animals. Ideally, you need to waste a collection testing extenders before you know which extender to use with each particular dog. The semen is frozen, thawed, and the several extender samples tested to see which extender has the best counts. Now you are set to freeze the next collections from the dog knowing which extender to use for guaranteed results.

Sperm count and motility will diminish in your proposed scenario, as Nash pointed out.

I have a lab and we collect from several dogs on a regular basis. Using the centrifuge before storing it is a must for many reasons. The main reason is seminal plasma (the material you spin off with the centrifuge separating it from the sperm) is "toxic" to sperm. Second reason is, im storing semen, not seminal plasma... no use for that. Lastly by centrifuging it and adding the correct ratio of extender you have an accurate count on the concentration of sperm in the straw. I dont think ive seen a freezing method that didnt require the collection to be centrifuged before freezing. Although im not licensed in this field, through research, trial, and error... the results achieved are sufficient for our needs.