PDA

View Full Version : Dog having ear problem.

Tru Blood
07-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Ok here the problem, he keeps shaking his head...so I check his ears and clean them. The ear that he's having problems with is his left ear. It's swollen on the inside. You can't see the open part of his ear without pull it a part. I squeeze his ear and he didn't flinch. I gave him antibiotics and he still having the problem. How do you treat? I have to take him to the vet soon if I can't get an immediate response. Thanx.

Tru Blood
07-10-2012, 06:04 AM
A lady I know told me to use gentian violet, boric acid and alcohol mix with water. She raised English bull mastiffs for 15 years.

OGDOGG
07-10-2012, 10:36 AM
I have a bitch who had an ear infection similar to yours. What i end up doing was popped it(poke) it with a needle and squeezed the puss out. That didn't work cause i couldn't get to the main source where it was producing the puss. So i end up using a sharp knife and sliced it deep enough to get into the infection and squeezed out most of the infection. Gave her antibiotics for a week and she recovered. Oh yeah my bitches infection is more in the canal so from the side view the bump is located under her ear.

skipper
07-10-2012, 11:03 AM
I have used Surolan with great results.
http://www.1800petmeds.com/Surolan-prod11205.html

Tru Blood
07-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Just read something in Jack's blog about antibiotics. Thanx

Officially Retired
07-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Ok here the problem, he keeps shaking his head...so I check his ears and clean them. The ear that he's having problems with is his left ear. It's swollen on the inside. You can't see the open part of his ear without pull it a part. I squeeze his ear and he didn't flinch. I gave him antibiotics and he still having the problem. How do you treat? I have to take him to the vet soon if I can't get an immediate response. Thanx.

I would love to help you answer this question, but it simply can't be answered at this point based on the limited information you have provided. Your dog could have ticks in his ear, mites, he could have a yeast infection, a wound/bacteria infection, etc., each of which would require drastically different measures to treat. Therefore, I have the following questions for you:

1. Have you actually determined the cause of the problem?

2. When you said you gave him "antibiotics," what antibiotics did you actually give him?

Thanks and good luck,

Jack

Tru Blood
07-10-2012, 08:17 PM
I use penacillan and cephalexin. I also used ivermectin. I'm on a cell phone and my reply got erased. This is A short copy. I never thought about ticks. That's what it could be. I have been doing a lot of walking with him and he's been getting fleas/ticks on him. I just got some fiproguard. It's just like heart guard plus.

Tru Blood
07-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Dog had ear infection. Thanx.

Officially Retired
07-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Dog had ear infection. Thanx.

What was the offending bacteria (or yeast)?

Officially Retired
07-13-2012, 06:24 AM
I use penacillan and cephalexin. I also used ivermectin. I'm on a cell phone and my reply got erased. This is A short copy. I never thought about ticks. That's what it could be. I have been doing a lot of walking with him and he's been getting fleas/ticks on him. I just got some fiproguard. It's just like heart guard plus.

BTW, neither penicillin nor cephalexin are first choices for ear infections.

Clavamox or Baytril tend to be.

Tru Blood
07-14-2012, 06:49 PM
What was the offending bacteria (or yeast)?

The vet did not take a swab. He gave me Posatex(1x a day for 7 days). And thanx for the advice.