PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Female Coat Change

act284
07-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Has anyone experienced their pregnant female coat color changing?

I bred one of mine 4 weeks ago, but I noticed 2 weeks ago that he coat around the shoulders and rump were getting significantly lighter. She is normally a darker shade of chocolate, and now those areas have turned light brown/dark tan almost. I am not 100% sure she is pregnant. Her nipples have dropped a bit and are larger than I could claim to be normal.

Got her on a raw diet, supplementing with Bitch Pills. Haven't included any oils and wondering if that could be the reason for the drastic coat change in those areas.

Just wanted to hear about some experiences. Thanks!

scratchin dog
07-21-2012, 10:11 AM
It could be hormonal due to pregnancy but whether she is pregnant or not, she should be getting oils while on a raw diet.

Officially Retired
07-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Has anyone experienced their pregnant female coat color changing?

I bred one of mine 4 weeks ago, but I noticed 2 weeks ago that he coat around the shoulders and rump were getting significantly lighter. She is normally a darker shade of chocolate, and now those areas have turned light brown/dark tan almost. I am not 100% sure she is pregnant. Her nipples have dropped a bit and are larger than I could claim to be normal.

Got her on a raw diet, supplementing with Bitch Pills. Haven't included any oils and wondering if that could be the reason for the drastic coat change in those areas.

Just wanted to hear about some experiences. Thanks!

Can you be more specific as to what kind of "raw diet" you're giving her?

The variations are endless, and some raw diets are terrible and incomplete.

Jack

act284
07-25-2012, 10:30 PM
raw diet consists of:

quarter leg chicken
rice
veggie/fruit pulp mix
1/2 vitamin tab
plain yogurt
bitch pills

occasional:
soft boiled egg
fish oil
organs

strangely she's also been having diarrhea lately...make me wonder if my meat is overdue...I've been stocking up enough that it might take 4-6 weeks before I get through to my last bag

Officially Retired
07-26-2012, 04:55 AM
Your problem is you are feeding an incomplete diet.

Eggs should not be "occasionally," they should be every day.

Rice is just a filler and unnecessary. Although I list rice in my Budget Diet, eggs have to be a part of that diet also and should not be omitted. You are essentially trying to substitute "fillers" and "pills" for good food.

Ideally, if you want to feed raw as well as you can, the rice should not even be in there, and the eggs should be in there every day (as should the organ meats and oils).

Good luck,

Jack

R2L
07-26-2012, 07:49 AM
i would add flax oil and organ meat.

act284
07-26-2012, 03:46 PM
I guess I'm not quite so worried about the coat change so much now...it's the vomiting of white foam and diarrhea...

a peer mentioned bloat to me...I've never experienced this...anyone have any experience or insight on the matter?

Officially Retired
07-27-2012, 03:21 AM
Vomiting and white foam?

True bloat (i.e., gastric torsion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloat)) = dead dog in a matter of hours, so if you've been typing this long I doubt it is bloat.

Jack