PDA

View Full Version : ricketts

turkd3000
08-03-2012, 02:40 PM
i've been told that it isn't genetic but i have seen a couple of dogs in my hounds ancestry have it.what can be done about it?

Officially Retired
08-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Ricketts is caused by malnutrition, lack of calcium/vitamin d, and lack of sunlight.

Therefore, if the problem is in several generations of dogs, then several generations of dogs haven't been fed/kept right (possibly in a basement/garage, fed lousy food, etc.).

The solution is easy: sunlight available to the pups, a good healthy diet with calcium/bones, and vitamin d supplementation (e.g., a little cod liver oil).

Good luck!

Jack

turkd3000
08-03-2012, 03:10 PM
good deal...thanks jack

Officially Retired
08-03-2012, 03:20 PM
You're welcome.

The first (and only) case of ricketts I ever had is when I substituted ground hamburger meat for chicken quarters in my diet for some pups a few years back. I did this because I was too lazy to chop-up the bones in the chicken quarters. And within a month, all my pups' legs were fucked up because the bones in the quarters are vital.

So I switched back to chicken quarters, added some cod liver oil, and they straightened right back up.

The moral?

Calcium, good nutrition, and sunlight are vital to optimal puppy growth.

Cheers,

Jack

act284
08-03-2012, 04:39 PM
There's ricketts and then there is carpal subluxating syndrome which can be mistaken for one another. CSS is genetic although it may not appear in all of the offsprings. This is commonly seen in toy breeds and German Shepherds as well as Bulldogs and Dachchunds. I believe Shorty Cowboy had this leg deformity although it may not necessarily make the dog a less game one or talented one. Some people refer to it as east-west.

turkd3000
08-19-2012, 05:33 PM
There's ricketts and then there is carpal subluxating syndrome which can be mistaken for one another. CSS is genetic although it may not appear in all of the offsprings. This is commonly seen in toy breeds and German Shepherds as well as Bulldogs and Dachchunds. I believe Shorty Cowboy had this leg deformity although it may not necessarily make the dog a less game one or talented one. Some people refer to it as east-west.

how can you tell the difference?