PDA

View Full Version : Heat stroke

Maxx Kennels
08-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Almost lost one of my yearlings to heat stroke yesterday. Strange thing is he had plenty of clean water and lots of shade. It was about 105.
Anybody else ever have to deal with this? It was a rough one. Up all night. Brought him in the house put a IV in him ( sodium chloride ) and gave him some pedialyte mix with a high calorie paste. ( orally ) It seem to do the trick, I think he's going to make it .

http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/bulldog_profile.php?dog_id=8146

Dogman
08-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Is your yearling a hyper active type of dog? Is the dog drinking enough water?

Maxx Kennels
08-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Not hyper. I think he wasn't drinking enough on hes own. Going to start adding water to his food.

lbd
08-07-2012, 03:55 PM
You got him on kibble or raw

thefoodchain
08-07-2012, 04:00 PM
I've just lost a good youngster myself to the heat. Unlike you I was unable to save him. Mines was very,very hyper.

Maxx Kennels
08-07-2012, 04:07 PM
That sucks you lost yours. Got them on kibble, i know raw is better, but Im just to lazy to go that route. 24 to feed.

thefoodchain
08-07-2012, 04:32 PM
I have my dogs on a 75/25 diet with kibble being the lions share. The other of course is raw and that's because of my income, my job cut my hours down to 20 per week. And I'm still a husband and father above all. I would much rather entirely feed raw. Whether that would have saved "Perseus Jackson" aka Mr.P. Diddy I don't know.

Dogman
08-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Not hyper. I think he wasn't drinking enough on hes own. Going to start adding water to his food.

Yes water in his feed will help with his Dehydration. You could also put some electrolytes in his water bowl.

Maxx Kennels
08-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Dam! don't know whats going on, His body temp is good, (101 ) but he is throwing up all the water he drinks, which isn't alot and he is not eating on his own. Plus he's very lethargic, breathing very shallow. If he makes though the nite we will be seeing the vet in the mourning.

Dogman
08-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Best to bring him to the vet ASAP, could be anything from twisted stomach or some kind of intestinal blockage to who knows what.

Maxx Kennels
08-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Just got back from the vet, he'll be find. Its just going to be a slow recovery from the heat stroke. He said putting him on the IV as soon as I did is what probably saved him. Learned how to do that a couple of years ago from Jacks book, so thanks Jack.
Take Care
Maxx

thefoodchain
08-08-2012, 01:41 PM
That's good news. Yes the knowledge of what to do is/was critical in your positive outcome. That's why it posses me off when some of this animal rights activists and some veterinarians get all upset and throw around practicing veterinary medicine without a license garbage. Maxx I'm glad your outcome was good.

Maxx Kennels
08-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks Foodchain

Officially Retired
08-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Just got back from the vet, he'll be find. Its just going to be a slow recovery from the heat stroke. He said putting him on the IV as soon as I did is what probably saved him. Learned how to do that a couple of years ago from Jacks book, so thanks Jack.
Take Care
Maxx

Very good news, my friend, and yes a cool slug of saline solution (preferred) or ringers (if nothing else) was the right thing to do.

Glad to hear all went well :)

Jack