PDA

View Full Version : TMZ for pregnant bitch

act284
08-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Hey Jack,

I was reading over the bible today and needed some clarification on the dosage for TMZ on a bitch 7 days before she is expected to deliver and until 3 days after.

In the bible under the how to save money section, it recommends that we give 20 mg/lb on day 1, and then 10 mg/lb on the next 4 days. How would this play out over 10 days? (7 days before delivery + 3 days post delivery)

Since I was confused, I went ahead and read more in the anti-biotic section and there the dosage is a bit different suggested at 25 mg/lb, PO, SID-BID.

What is your current recommendation? My bitch is about 50 lbs pregnant. Since today will be 7 days before expected 63rd day, I will give my bitch the full 800 mg tablet and 1/4 of another.

Thanks
Andrew

act284
08-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Nevermind. I read some more on the articles in this forum and found the answers I needed.

Trimethoprim-Sulfa (TMZ) beginning 7 days before the expected delivery date—at a dosage of 25mg/lb, by mouth, every 24 hrs—and continue this treatment for another 3 days after the birth of the pups (10 days total).

Thanks!