PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Format - Diet

No Quarter Kennel
08-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Here's what I've been doing lately and the dogs are looking real good and I'll probably stay with it for a good long while. I've been feeding RAW for about 5 months and tweeking it as I go and I like what I'm doing now. SO, I thought I'd share in case some are looking for a solid feed program.

I feed 12 dogs right now. I feed "guts" and chicken
GUTS= 4lbs of gizzards, 2 containers of chicken liver, 12 eggs, 2 large yogurts, oil (pour it in by feel) I put all of this in a bucket and mix very well.

Mon/Wed/Fri
AM - 12oz guts
PM - 1/2 a Chicken Quarter

T/Th
AM - 1/2 Chicken Quarter
PM - 1/2 Chicken Quarter

Saturday
AM - Nothing
PM - full Chicken Quarter

Sunday - FAST

Chicken quarters at Walmart are 5.90 for ten pounds. I feed 70lbs a week plus my "guts". It's a weekly bill of 68$ a week. That's 5.66 a dog per week OR, 94 cents a serving which averages out to be about a pound per dog.

Thought I'd share!

Officially Retired
08-20-2012, 06:08 AM
I love it ... the breakdown, everything ... thank you for sharing & glad you're obsessed with feeding raw & breaking things down too :D

Cheers,

Jack

R2L
08-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Looks good, although i like to feed once a day.
I spend 10 euro a dog on a complete raw food so you're doing a good job on the price too 8)

No Quarter Kennel
08-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Thank you for the "atta boys". Good to have affirmation in the right direction. I know it's hard to dial things in at times, so I wanted to share in case anyone else was looking to feed in a similar fashion.

Thank you,

FERG
NQK

FrostyPaws
08-21-2012, 08:03 PM
NQK, how would you adjust said feeding for the winter months?

No Quarter Kennel
08-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Well Frosty, I'm not sure I'll need much adjustment since I'm in the central Texas area. We don't have severe winters in Texas and even less severe in the central areas. If I had to adjust for a real cold climate, I'm sure I would raise the calories, meaing feed more overall and I'd add more fat and oil. That's just off the top of my head though. I would also NOT fast on Sunday. With all that being said, I'll check here on this board as well to get some input from those in colder climates.

skipper
08-23-2012, 12:17 AM
NQK, how would you adjust said feeding for the winter months?

In my parts it can be as cold as -40C when it's extreme, however -10 to -20 are what we usually have from December to Marsh. I add fat, carbs and water during the winter months. Remember itīs as important to have the dogs well hydrated in -40 as it is in +40. Oh and a proper built dog house with fresh bedding are crucial.

I will post some pictures and go into details when winter comes..

montycash
08-27-2012, 04:13 AM
I WAS DOING SOME PRICING I GET CHICKEN LEGS 40LB BOXES FOR $40 IS THAT WORTH IT CAUSE I FEED BOUT 12-16 DOGS GOT A LITTER AND I REALLY WANT TO START THAT LITTER WHEN IT COME OF AGE ON RAW DIET

bgblok68
08-27-2012, 04:38 AM
The amount you want to spend is up to you but its $5.90 for ten pounds at Wal-Mart. Saves a lot over your price especially with that number of dogs in a year.

montycash
08-27-2012, 05:59 AM
I don't have a Walmart in my area im in the islands so for me to go raw its extremely expensive

Officially Retired
08-27-2012, 06:02 AM
Hey Monty, if you have chicken houses in your area, you can collect their dead chickens for pennies usually :)

Jack

montycash
08-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Sorry jack we have cockfighting farm I have one as well lol but no one sells the dead birds usually done disposed of. Especially if its a special breeding. Just like dogs. But that's my only option I have one more to get the scraps from a butcher house but its a whole other island away just allot to get it ill take a trip one day to see what's up

No Quarter Kennel
08-28-2012, 05:50 PM
I WAS DOING SOME PRICING I GET CHICKEN LEGS 40LB BOXES FOR $40 IS THAT WORTH IT CAUSE I FEED BOUT 12-16 DOGS GOT A LITTER AND I REALLY WANT TO START THAT LITTER WHEN IT COME OF AGE ON RAW DIET

I would jump all over that. Where are you getting this deal?

heritage
09-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Hey NQK , what kind of yogurt do u use? Don't u worry bout the sugar content?

tasoschatz
09-07-2012, 12:24 AM
I do not know about NQK but I feed greek, goat milk yogurt every second day.

No Quarter Kennel
09-08-2012, 07:37 PM
I feed a store brand, plain, low fat yogurt. I'd prefer the fat, but they don't have it.

As for worry about sugar? I don't. I don't see any sugar coming from any other source. On top of that, there are two containers being split b/t 12 dogs for only 3 days per week. It seems to be enough to reap the benefits without it being too much of anything negative or in cost.

I buy my food tomorrow, so I'll check the sugar content and get back to you with more info.

Officially Retired
09-10-2012, 04:40 AM
Hey NQK , what kind of yogurt do u use? Don't u worry bout the sugar content?

Plain yogurt does not have added sugar ...

Jack

tasoschatz
09-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Maybe they are talking about lactose which is one of the two animal sugars, the other one beeing honey.

No Quarter Kennel
09-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Not worried about the sugar.

When you break it all down, my dogs eat RAW chicken, eggs, yogurt, gizzards, livers and oils. That's it. Any negative associated wiht yogurt is out weighed by the positives of the yogurt.

Dogs look damn good. Skin and hair health are off the charts. Took in a 9 year old with moderate to severe skin condition. 2 months later, she looks great and is only getting better.

You guys not feeding RAW are short changing anything you have with your dogs.

heritage
09-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Maybe they are talking about lactose which is one of the two animal sugars, the other one beeing honey.

....lol @ bee-ing honey :)

about the sugar, at the grocery here, I look on the plain yogurt and fructose or sucrose is usually the third orfourth ingredient , although I agree it wouldn't amount to excessive levels.

Edit: my bad I was looking at the flavored stuff, should have checked before replying. Man that Greek yogurt is loaded with protein.

tasoschatz
09-15-2012, 02:03 AM
Usual greek yogurt in other than greek markets, is usually the partially dried stuff, so less water equals to more solids, protein among them. You get something like double the product in half size.