PDA

View Full Version : bitch chew umbilical cord very short

act284
08-28-2012, 11:12 PM
My bitch chewed a few of her pups cord very short...and it seems like a small bump has formed

Are these considered hernias and will they heal on their own?

Unfortunately I was only able to help with 5 of the pups cord cutting but the other 4 seemed to get chewed too quick as she snatched the cord and membrane right away and lifted it.

Officially Retired
08-29-2012, 06:05 AM
It should go away on its own.

I have had bitches pull out the umbilical chord in pups ... and some intestines came out with it ... where I had to take the pup and struggle pushing the little slippery guts back in the little hole (which was not easy!).

Even though I succeeded, there was a gaping hole remaining, which I had to treat with betadine. For several days I had to continue to make sure the gut didn't come back out, but after awhile the hole closed and everything was fine.

Jack

act284
08-29-2012, 07:10 AM
That's great to hear. I was a bit worried. I didn't notice this in my previous assistance to delivering and whelping a litter.

I used betadine for the first 2-3 days but stopped once the cord dried up and fell off. Should I do anything like massage the area or apply pressure so the bump does not protrude? It's actually a lot smaller than I am making it out to sound though.

gabbagabbahey
08-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Although it should well be ok,there is times that it don't & if so it is a wee bit of a problem. I have felt some before & it feels like it is through a layer of the skin & therefore stopping that layer from closing up.
I also have had a pup which ended up with an organ sticking out. Vet put a stitch or two in & all
was well.
Good luck !!