PDA

View Full Version : Gut fat and raw diet ?

Abe
08-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Ok I have a female that has never been worked lived in a crate has almost no muscle tone and fat sloppy fat. Healthly as can be and have worked her and switched her to raw and been doing some road work with her and she is coming along ok.
My question is if I was to cut her fat intake to as little as possible by removing skin from thechicke. Would it help to rid her of the layer of fat and help tighten her up quicker ?
I'm feeding whole chicken salmon oil multi vitamin soft boiled egg apple cider vingar and a mix of organs which include green tripe.
Thanks for the guideance and help ?

scratchin dog
08-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Never remove all the fat from the diet, that is what dogs need for energy. Just reduce the amount of food you're feeding or increase exercise.

Abe
08-31-2012, 09:58 AM
I have done both cut feed and increased exercise and not removing all of the fat just asking if reducing the fat intake by removing the skin of the chicken if it would help trim her up faster. Reduce the pre-keep time so to speak. She is getting 35 mls of salmon oil plus the fat in the chicken so it wouldn't remove all of the fat just a perctage correct me if I'm wrong ?

FrostyPaws
08-31-2012, 02:30 PM
If you're attempting to cut the dog's weight, just reduce the amount of food. Fat is calorie dense, so you don't have to feed as much. When you say road work, are you meaning just walking her? If not, what type of work are you doing and for how long?

Abe
08-31-2012, 06:47 PM
We are up to 5 to 7 miles walking 15 to 20 mins of flirt pole. Building a spring pole Sunday next is a slat mill.
The path we walk is slopping hills at a pretty brisk pace the whole time I try to make sure her tongue is fully extended about 1/4 mile from the house and slow it down for her to catch her wind and hit the four pole after then walk her till she cools back off around the property.
I've got her weight down where it needs to be its just seems like she has a layer of fat all over her. I'm seeing results just not one to be happy not trying new ways or at least thinking always how to improve myself for the health of the dog.
I know she will be fine in time just pushing it I guess.

R2L
08-31-2012, 11:51 PM
dont push, its not good to bring a dog down to fast.

inkdogg
09-03-2012, 01:02 AM
Post some pics...

Ez Country
09-03-2012, 06:37 AM
It's gonna take some time if she was that fat. Don't feed her one day out of the week

FrostyPaws
09-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Abe, try flirt poling her a little longer. It won't hurt you to up the time a little here and there if the results you're seeing are slowing down to some degree.

Dogman
09-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Either work her more or cut her feed or do both.