PDA

View Full Version : AnyBody feed Pork?

BSK
09-02-2012, 10:06 PM
I just got a 55 gallon drum of meats from the grocery store (my relative is the meat departments manager so all they discard I get it). It includes : beef,turkey wings & necks,pork chops & pork steaks,chicken parts. Let's hear ur opinions on feeding pork. It was all or none,it was free so I got it. Want to start back on the raw diet.
BSK

tasoschatz
09-03-2012, 12:37 AM
I avoid raw pork due to trichinella worries, I always prefer to be safe than sorry, BUT, when I stated my opinion on g-d forum, the majority turned against my thoughts with arguments like "it doesn't exist in the food production lines" or " the dogs do not get it" etc. I just prefer to spend slightly more for beef than to worry about it, but then I do not feed a big number of dogs.

hogdog
09-03-2012, 01:31 PM
It's actually spelled "trichinosis" and even if there isn't a risk for it your dog would most likely get tapeworms. Pork, squirrel, rabbit/hare all carry tapeworms. I learned the hard way. My dogs didnt have fleas so it had to of been from the wild squirrel I was feeding.

BSK
09-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks for both of your comments. I do freeze all of the meat before feeding though. This process should kill parasites. I was wondering if there is any other negatives from feeding pork.

tasoschatz
09-04-2012, 12:50 AM
http://www.medicinenet.com/trichinosis/article.htm
Hei hog, it is actually the name of the parasite I posted and not the disease itself which is also called trichinellosis. Not that it matters if you get it.

Officially Retired
09-04-2012, 05:58 AM
I have had people "poo-poo" the idea of being worried about feeding raw pork too, but I also would personally rather be safe than sorry.

Sure, I fully understand that not every raw pork specimen is going to be afflicted with the trichina worm; in fact, I fully understand that most raw pork specimens will not. But because the potential is there, I personally just would NOT feed this meat raw. Period.

Because trichinosis 1) can be fatal, 2) is transmissable to humans, and 3) does NOT get eradicated by either standard worming meds or standard worming dosages either, I personally would never feed any raw meat that might possibly contain this worm to my dogs. It simply is not worth the risk.

Hell, for that matter, pork is actually a suck-ass meat nutritionally, so I wouldn't feed pork to my dogs over the MUCH better option of chicken anyway ... just for nutrition reasons ... let alone considering the added risk of trichinosis being in pork. (After all, the jews call pork "the unclean meat" for a reason :idea:)

And finally, if you google "trichinosis+frozen," you will also see this particular worm has a high resistance to freezing, which means you can't even get rid of this worm by freezing it. You MUST cook this meat to kill the worm. If you do a little research, because the trichina worm is found in arctic animals (which live in the coldest areas of the world), this particular worm has evolved to be able to survive long-term freezing in the bodies of dead arctic animals, even when frozen solid, so you "freezing" pork is doing NOTHING to protect either you or your dogs :exclamation:

Therefore, my own personal conclusion is there is no reason on earth to risk using "the unclean meat" of raw pork on your dogs, when there are far better options nutritionally (and far less risky options health-wise).

Jack

SGC
09-04-2012, 07:37 AM
I also do not feed any raw pork, for the reasons posted above. Even freezing it does not make raw pork safe. Just not worth the risk.

But I have feed bits of cooked pork meat without the fat. I suppose if your scraps have some pork in there, you could cook it if it is meat, or just discard it all and not bother with it.

Like Jack says, there are far better meats out there nutritionally.

R2L
09-04-2012, 08:00 AM
agree 100 % with jack

scratchin dog
09-04-2012, 08:59 AM
I dont feed pork, like SGC said, its just not worth the risk.

BSK
09-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks to ALL of u for your help.Im going to the freezer to trash allthe bags of pork now. The pork was in the mix of all the chicken,beef,and turkey as well.Do u guys think the other meat has been affected by being in with the pork while in the container at the grocery store? There is no way I can get them not to put it all in the same container(my relative is the manager over the meat department but have others cutting and packing meat as well.)

Dogman
09-04-2012, 03:04 PM
All you have to do is cook the pork then you can feed it to your dogs that simple just make sure you take out all the bones, it aint rocket science lol.

R2L
09-04-2012, 04:25 PM
it already is poor quality meat, imagine the quality fter cooking it

Officially Retired
09-04-2012, 04:38 PM
it already is poor quality meat, imagine the quality fter cooking it

Word :idea:

Dogman
09-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Poor quality meat? Maybe yawl jewish, muslim or something? LOL

BSK
09-04-2012, 07:19 PM
I threw out the pork earlier today as I mentioned I would. I just want to know if ya'll think the other meat maybe contaminated by being in the container with the pork while still at the store.

tasoschatz
09-05-2012, 02:15 AM
Do not know for sure, but since it can contaminate a living organism, why dead flesh should not fall in the same category?

Officially Retired
09-05-2012, 03:47 AM
Poor quality meat? Maybe yawl jewish, muslim or something? LOL

No, I just have actually read the nutrition profile comparisons, so I am informed not ignorant.

Jack

Dogman
09-05-2012, 02:20 PM
No, I just have actually read the nutrition profile comparisons, so I am informed not ignorant.

Jack

Informed by Google?

So are you saying pork meat can't compare to chicken necks, backs, gizzards, livers and hearts?

Officially Retired
09-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Informed by Google?

FYI, Google doesn't "inform," it is merely a search engine that (yes) can lead a person to be informed in a variety of ways by a variety of means.

You might want to try it sometime.

So are you saying pork meat can't compare to chicken necks, backs, gizzards, livers and hearts?

Yes, that is pretty much exactly what I am saying. Have you always been this quick, or does it usually take a thing to be said 3x before you get it?

One thing I would like to point out, however, is your automatic default to chicken backs/necks is not something I would do either, as these are sucky compared to other parts of the chicken. I feed leg quarters.

If you ever care to use the tool of Google, or read any books on nutrition, you too will find pork to be on the low-end of the totem pole, nutritionally, as far as meats go.

Jack

SGC
09-06-2012, 07:24 AM
I thought this site would have a chart on the nutritional value of raw pork, but they don't. They do have some other very useful charts on the Nutritional Value of various raw meats –

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/dietvalues.htm

Here is the chart on raw chicken –

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/chicken.htm

I am sure there is a chart somewhere on raw pork, but I don't feed it so I never looked for it.

And yes, Google is a very useful tool to research almost anything.

Dogman
09-06-2012, 12:09 PM
FYI, Google doesn't "inform," it is merely a search engine that (yes) can lead a person to be informed in a variety of ways by a variety of means.

You might want to try it sometime.

Yes, that is pretty much exactly what I am saying. Have you always been this quick, or does it usually take a thing to be said 3x before you get it?

One thing I would like to point out, however, is your automatic default to chicken backs/necks is not something I would do either, as these are sucky compared to other parts of the chicken. I feed leg quarters.

If you ever care to use the tool of Google, or read any books on nutrition, you too will find pork to be on the low-end of the totem pole, nutritionally, as far as meats go.

Jack

Naw Jack , you can stick to your internet info , I prefer to get mine through actual experiences.

Officially Retired
09-07-2012, 04:08 AM
Naw Jack , you can stick to your internet info , I prefer to get mine through actual experiences.

:rolleyes:

And what "actual experience" do you have conducting a personal assay on the nutrition value of pork versus chicken?

Or, for that matter, how does cooked pork still fall under the category of raw feeding?

I am sure your next answer will be as stunning and revealing as your previous ones ...

Jack

BSK
09-07-2012, 09:26 AM
LOL:lol:

Dogman
09-07-2012, 02:02 PM
:rolleyes:

And what "actual experience" do you have conducting a personal assay on the nutrition value of pork versus chicken?

Or, for that matter, how does cooked pork still fall under the category of raw feeding?

I am sure your next answer will be as stunning and revealing as your previous ones ...

Jack

Now you want my nutritional references? Let me see your credentials first Jack LOL.

Cooked or Raw pork is not what we are debating about , its about you saying pork is a LOW QUALITY meat.

I guess the person who started this topic would rather listen to Jack and waste the pork and throw it away instead of solving the problem by cooking the pork and feeding it too his dogs but to each his own its your loss or should I say your dog's loss.

pig mad
09-22-2012, 01:33 AM
What does this tape worm look like??

I have a lot of experiance feeding pork i freeze it first but i do have major tape worm problem and couldnt work out were it came from im in australia to is it even here??

I thought may have been getting the worms from catching the pigs and ingesting the pig lice..