PDA

View Full Version : Chain weight

Dogman
09-17-2012, 05:57 AM
I'm still in the learning phase and needed help I wanted to know what exactly was a dog supposed to look like at his chain weight I keep mine at what I feel Is the correct chain weight and that is with the ribs almost visible some say it's to skinny and some it's okay can the board please give me some positive feed back and maybe some pics thanks very much :question:

Tru Blood
09-17-2012, 09:47 PM
You don't want the ribs to show at all. If your animal gets sick they'll have the extra fat to help them survive while your treating them.

R2L
09-18-2012, 02:36 AM
i keep them lean at all times.

remember a dog has inner fat as well.

Officially Retired
09-18-2012, 05:47 AM
It honestly depends on where you live as well as the weather during the time.

For example, a dog living in Miami during the summer should be very lean, while a dog living in Montana during the winter should have a decided layer of fat on him, etc.

Jack

Dogman
09-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Well I leave in tx so the Miami way is the way to go then huh? And then in the winter add weight like always okay thanks alot

erik440
09-19-2012, 07:56 AM
what are everyones thoughts on mr o stevnz method of adding ol burgerking oil to their feed

OGDOGG
09-25-2012, 11:35 PM
I add left over oils from bacon or when cooking anything to their feed during the winter months. So burger oils shouldn't be any different. To us it'll be no good but dogs thrive on oils and fats.
As for their weight on the chain, I try to keep them 4 pounds over pit weight all year round. But the ones who are waiting to lock stay at 2 pounds over pit weight.

Officially Retired
09-26-2012, 06:21 AM
I do the same thing: every time I bake chicken, make burgers ... or cook anything that leaves an oil behind ... it is saved for the dogs.

Thanksgiving (turkey) and Christmas (goose) are especially good times to be a dog around here :)

Jack

BSK
09-26-2012, 08:16 PM
What aBout when the meat is cooked with onions? Does it still have a negative effect on their white blood cells due to the onions cooked with it?

scratchin dog
09-26-2012, 09:00 PM
What aBout when the meat is cooked with onions? Does it still have a negative effect on their white blood cells due to the onions cooked with it?

Just to be on the safe side, I wouldn't feed anything that was cooked with onions. Onions are toxic to dogs.

scratchin dog
09-26-2012, 09:02 PM
I do the same thing: every time I bake chicken, make burgers ... or cook anything that leaves an oil behind ... it is saved for the dogs.

Thanksgiving (turkey) and Christmas (goose) are especially good times to be a dog around here :)

Jack

I do the same too, except I remove the skin from the chicken before it is baked or BBQ'd and save it in the freezer for winter.

Officially Retired
09-27-2012, 02:29 AM
I love chicken skin though ... :lol:

Officially Retired
09-27-2012, 02:31 AM

I personally never cook my meats with anything on it ... my onions, if I use any, are in salads.

Jack

BSK
09-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Kool I just wanted to mention that because some people dont know the negative effects onions have on dogs.

scratchin dog
09-28-2012, 10:25 PM
I love chicken skin though ... :lol:

:lol::lol: Me too, tastes great, but it's so bad for ya. I guess once in a while is ok. 8)

Officially Retired
09-30-2012, 06:02 PM
I can't let a single chicken skin go though :lol:

EWO
11-16-2012, 07:35 PM
I save any cooked oils here too. It is a decent fat source and helps keeping weight on the dogs in the winter, especially the hard keepers. Inexpensive as well. And I agree jack, what is the point of skinless chicken? We just did some quarters on the grill and the first part I ate was the skin. EWO