PDA

View Full Version : missing hair around the eyes

erik440
09-19-2012, 12:17 PM
i have a 2 year old bitch that has hair missing around the eyes any way that the hair might regrow she is a maydayxgrunt cross and i never have seen that in any mayday dogs or grunt dogs. any info would be appreciated thanks

R2L
09-19-2012, 01:53 PM
first thing i think of is demodex. sometimes its been pretty bad and the hair doesnt regrow. even tho they no longer have the mite.

SHOWBOX
09-19-2012, 03:55 PM
It may be a food allergy. What are you using for feed? If you're feeding kibble, you may want to change over to a balanced raw diet.

SHOWBOX

Officially Retired
09-19-2012, 05:05 PM
i have a 2 year old bitch that has hair missing around the eyes any way that the hair might regrow she is a maydayxgrunt cross and i never have seen that in any mayday dogs or grunt dogs. any info would be appreciated thanks

Is the hair loss "spotty" ... meaning in random places ... or is the hair loss symmetrical about both eyes ... meaning are both eyes/sides pretty much identical in hair loss?

The reason why I ask is random hair loss tends to signify either mange or a fungal infection ... while symmetrical hair loss tends to mean autoimmune problems and/or allergies.

Jack

erik440
09-19-2012, 06:57 PM
symmetrical just on both eyes no other place. i tried feeding raw and it helped some but it still is not fully grown out yet.

tasoschatz
09-20-2012, 03:33 AM
Could you post some photos? Some times in certain dogs, because of hair color and skin color, the area around the eyes appears somewhat bold. For example dogs with chocolate cinnamon color and almost pink skin look like this.
http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=395702
http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=229753
Not the best photos but peds are easy to copy paste compared to other photos. I have seen it in black dogs also.

R2L
09-20-2012, 03:35 AM
probably wasnt demodex then if its symmetrical

skipper
09-20-2012, 06:54 AM
If the dog is on a high energy kibble with lots of proteins, it could be that. I have had dogs that lost lots of hair around their ears and eyes when fed performance kibble. Switched to raw and the problem went away, as all problems..

FrostyPaws
09-21-2012, 04:12 PM
The only time I've seen dogs lose like hair like that is when they were crated a lot. Some of the dogs I've gotten from the northern US that were used to living in crates all had hair loss around their eyes for some reason. I just assumed it was something to do with not enough sun due to the fact that after they arrived here, and were outside for their time here, the hair grew back without any issue.

erik440
09-27-2012, 05:23 AM
i keep it in a 10x10 kennel with shade on top and to keep the rain out

EWO
11-21-2012, 03:44 AM
I have seen it a few times like you described. My guess would be too much protein and not enough exercise. I see it in a lot of kenneled dogs or crated dogs. If the dog is on a high protein food and you are happy with everything else add more exercise. Check out someone out who has a lot of fox hounds or deer hounds. On average they feed bag feed (with price being the deciding factor) and during hunting season they switch to a 26% protein 18% fat mix. They run the shit out of the dogs and then when the season is over a lot drop back to the cheaper 21%-10% maintenance formulas. (Most do not understand or care to know it will take 6-8 weeks or the dog to adjust, remember it is price driven) The first few weeks after they have hair loss around the eyes as well as the first few weeks when they are switched over. EWO