PDA

View Full Version : ivomec

scary
12-28-2011, 02:22 AM
I have heard of ivomec being given by mouth? How much?
Thanks in advance!

Officially Retired
12-28-2011, 04:39 AM
That depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

For heartworm, a simple 0.1ml/10 lb (that's one tenth of 1 ml), once a month, is all you need.

For demodex, 0.3ml/10 lb (or three tenths of 1 ml), daily, for 1-2 months, is what's required.

Jack

scary
12-28-2011, 06:10 AM
All ways thanks jack :)

PS. Write another book so i can buy it!

Milehighmisfit
06-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Hey guys,
In need of help after a frustrating and exhausting experience. Soooooo, I have Agri-Mectrin 1% inject-able solution. I have used this before and have just put in there food but I am concerned they may not be swallowing all of it, simply because they are messy eaters and some of their meal ends up on the ground. My solution was to just squirt it down there throat. I tried this with my 54lb male and it was a freaking nightmare. The little dude wanted no part of it and I almost got bit for my actions. He wasn't getting angry at me or trying to bite me, just freaking out to get away. I could not imagine going through this with 5, 10 or 15 dogs. Do I start injecting it or just go back to buying damn heartguard. how do you all handle this??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also it is tough to pull the Ivomectrin out the air tight seal. A vacuum pressure is created when pulling it out with a syringe and barely any comes out. what a I missing here? I am clearly not doing this right lol and at my whits end. PLEASE HELP ME

loot
06-06-2016, 04:22 PM
I draw the amount needed in a syringe, remove the needle. I take one hand an hold the dogs mouth open and squirt it in the back of their throat.

Some people cut hot dogs in to pieces then inject the amount need in the hot dog. Good luck

EWO
06-08-2016, 02:51 AM
For the house dogs I am similar to loot. Just pop it in their mouth and done.

For the yard dogs I lay out a loaf of bread and dose a slice per dog. I walk by and toss each piece to them. They swallow it first and then go, man that tasted like crap. LOL

EWO

scratchin dog
06-08-2016, 09:27 AM
I leave the needle in the rubber stopper. I push the syringe into the needle base, draw the liquid and then remove the syringe to squirt it in the food bowl.
I used to squirt it into a hot dog and that worked good. Now I just mix it into a raw egg and pyrantel and throw some gizzards over it. They eat it all and lick the bowl clean.

Rainman
06-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Isn't it easiest way to give it SC?
It tastes nasty for sure so I understand a dog shaking his head and trying to spit it out. In this case you can't be sure how much you get it inside your dog.

SGC
06-08-2016, 02:29 PM
I think it needs to be given orally in order to work best for heartworms and other worms. I've given it on a slice of bread or in a hot dog piece, and they usually eat it right down.

If you only have a few dogs, I have ordered Ivermectin in pill form from this Australian company --

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/heartwormers-c-165_160.html

Not as cheap as the cattle wormer liquid but easier to give the pill. I usually buy the Valuheart or the Vetaheart pills --

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/valuheart-c-165_160_181.html?osCsid=pqri02ke07ucr25bugogsv7cb5

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/vetahearttablets-c-165_160_309.html

Milehighmisfit
06-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions fellows. Whenever I dose Ivomec I follow the 1/10 a ml per 10lbs and with the pills from vetaheart or valueheart, just like heartguard I guess, they are giving the same dose for a wide range of weights. So basically I would be giving my 54lb dog the same dose as an 80lb dog, which is my only concern. Maybe that is just fine or maybe I should cut the pill down a little? SGC how do you handle this since you use the pills. Again guys, thanks for the input.

SGC
06-11-2016, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions fellows. Whenever I dose Ivomec I follow the 1/10 a ml per 10lbs and with the pills from vetaheart or valueheart, just like heartguard I guess, they are giving the same dose for a wide range of weights. So basically I would be giving my 54lb dog the same dose as an 80lb dog, which is my only concern. Maybe that is just fine or maybe I should cut the pill down a little? SGC how do you handle this since you use the pills. Again guys, thanks for the input.

Yeah, the dosage covers a wider weight range. My old dog was 50 pounds and I gave her the Valuheart Large dog which as you said goes from 44 pounds to 80 pounds. She never had any problem with the dose being strong enough for a larger dog. My current young dog is 38 pounds and gets the Medium Valuheart which goes up to 44 pounds so that dose is a bit closer.

For the once a month heartwormer use, I don't think the higher dose harms the dog. If I remember right, it is dosed much higher and more often for treating demodex mange.

Milehighmisfit
06-11-2016, 09:06 PM
cool, that's what I figured but wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification. I may just give those pills a shot. Again, thanks for the suggestions :)