PDA

View Full Version : Is a raw diet safe for a pregnant female?

Pitbull28372
12-28-2011, 05:09 AM
One quick question. I have been feeding the raw diet every other day for 4 days now. My female, I think is pregnant. Her stools are running. How long will that last since I alternate between raw diet and dry dog food? I haven't seen any loose stool in the male or other female which they are on chains and she is in an above kennel.

Officially Retired
12-28-2011, 07:05 AM
By 'the' raw diet, do you mean the one in my book or some variation thereof?

If you're feeding the complete raw diet in my book, you don't need that kibble at all. In fact, switching back-and-forth is bad for a dog ... just get rid of the kibble and stick to the raw, and you will never see another runny stool again.

The bones in the chicken will ensure that your pregnant bitch gets enough calcium to support the skeletal development of her pups. Take a look at my pups in the "Bloodline" sub-forum, and take a look at their bone structure (Beowulf and Amazon), and they look like mini-adults already, even at 5 & 3 months of age, respectively.

Jack

Pitbull28372
12-28-2011, 10:40 AM
yes, I have been using your raw diet out your book. Is there anything in particular I should give the female intil her due date? She was bred Nov. 19th so she only has a month to go. Extra feedings? I'm getting use to the forum, are you talking about the Bloodlines and Breeding Theories to look at your pups?

Officially Retired
12-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Actually, that is all mentioned in your DVDs and book :D

But, essentially, you feed the bitch as usual ... until the last two weeks where you barely bump it up a bit. It is only AFTER she delivers, and the pups are on her for a week than you really need to increase the caloric intake.

Overfeeding before delivery just makes a fat bitch and (potentially) over-sized pups. I would rather have a semi-lean bitch squeezing out smaller pups, and then put some weight on the bitch and her pups, otherwise you can have delivery problems.

Jack

Pitbull28372
12-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the advice. I haven't read all the book because we bred her before your book and DVDs came.

wobbles
01-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. I haven't read all the book because we bred her before your book and DVDs came.
Jack's book has been out at least 3 years, I got mine that long ago.

Officially Retired
01-10-2012, 01:47 AM
Jack's book has been out at least 3 years, I got mine that long ago.

To be fair, Bobb only got mine over this Christmas :)