PDA

View Full Version : How to store salmon oil

Abe
09-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Got a gallon of salmon oil I'm sure it's gonna take me a while to use it all so what is the best way to keep it stable for months ?

scratchin dog
09-27-2012, 05:35 PM
I keep mine in the fridge.

laredoboys5
09-30-2012, 04:48 PM
is salmon oil good on raw diet??

Officially Retired
09-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Yes it is :)

I tend to rotate between cod liver and salmon. Cod liver is GREAT for pups, but can be overdone (it has very high Vitamin A & D content, which are cumulative fat-soluble vitamins).

Salmon Oil doesn't have much in the way of vitamins, but it does have a ton of Omega-3 fatty acids ... which play a crucial role in brain function, as well as normal growth and development ... and also reduce inflammation and may help lower risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, and arthritis.

Jack

hogdog
10-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Unless the salmon oil is coming from "Wild" Salmon then you are feeding your dog PCB's which are horrible. Google the effects of PCB's. Also, any type of oil kept in plastic bottles is leaching toxins from the plastic. http://icelandpure.com/ This company is the best option and I believe the Sardine/Anchovy oil is the best. Also, supplementing with fish oil decreases the amount of Vitamin E in the body which is why many oils have added Vitamin E. If it doesn't you should be adding vitamin E to the diet. By the way Jack, after reading what you posted on CoQ10 I went out and bought some today. The most superior/potent/bio-available one you can buy is Ubiquinol QH-absorb by Jarrow Formulas. It comes in 100 mg and 200mg. Get the 200 mg one. It's a bit pricey but I don't think one should try to choose an inferior product when it comes to one's health. You get what you pay for.

Officially Retired
10-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Unless the salmon oil is coming from "Wild" Salmon then you are feeding your dog PCB's which are horrible. Google the effects of PCB's. Also, any type of oil kept in plastic bottles is leaching toxins from the plastic. http://icelandpure.com/

My understanding is exactly the opposite: wild salmon are the danger while farm-raised salmon are safe.

PCBs were banned in 1977 but are still in the environment (hence why wild fish can be unsafe), while farm-raised fish are safe.

And not every plastic container is toxic ...

This company is the best option and I believe the Sardine/Anchovy oil is the best.

There is no such thing as a "best" oil. Some are useless; many are good; some do certain things spectacularly.

For example, Sardine and Anchovy oils are great for Omega-3s and Vitamins A&D but they have zero Vitamin E ... while Wheat Germ and Rice Bran oils have a ton of this nutrient.

Also, supplementing with fish oil decreases the amount of Vitamin E in the body which is why many oils have added Vitamin E. If it doesn't you should be adding vitamin E to the diet.

Good point ... which is why I recommend adding Wheat Germ oil (or Rice Bran oil) to the Salmon (or Sardine) oil, because they have a ton of Vitamin E :D

By the way Jack, after reading what you posted on CoQ10 I went out and bought some today. The most superior/potent/bio-available one you can buy is Ubiquinol QH-absorb by Jarrow Formulas. It comes in 100 mg and 200mg. Get the 200 mg one. It's a bit pricey but I don't think one should try to choose an inferior product when it comes to one's health. You get what you pay for.

Hey, glad you enjoyed the article ... and thanks for the tip 8)

Jack

SGC
10-04-2012, 09:03 AM
I keep my salmon oil in the fridge but I hear you can freeze it.

I buy a pretty large bottle, about a half gallon and then pour some into a smaller bottle that is easier to use. That way my big bottle is not opened every day and exposed to the air.