PDA

View Full Version : spring pole work

scary
12-28-2011, 06:32 AM
I have litter mate brother and sister that i bought at age one year and either one of will work a flirt pole or spring pole any tips thanks! Also i heard cow hide is a good starter for them?

SacRedBoy
12-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Gets some cowhide that stuff drives most dogs crazy.

MISTER
12-29-2011, 11:29 AM
This might have to go under the 'mouth work' topic. I have one that will not work a hide or pole @ all. Would you sub a shank bone for hide work? Other than that, he will run slat, carpet and elec with no problems.

Officially Retired
12-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately, some dogs simply will not "get excited" about inanimate objects.

I believe a lot of this has to do with socialization, meaning that pups who get "worked with" early in life have a distinct "working advantage" over dogs that never get touched or interacted with until they get yanked off the chain at 18 months for their first roll. This can be overcome by dedication on your part, and trying to devise ways to get them to play, and yes cowhides might well do the trick.

However, prey drive toward the inanimate can also be genetic, as some dogs simply don't have interest, even as very young pups, which is in fact one of the things I select for as a breeder, which is the desire to work hard as a pup: some do, some don't. This type of selection has created a line that typically loves to work ... and I have had 20+ year dogmen tell me that my dogs are the best workers they've ever had the pleasure to put through a keep ... which makes it alot easier to work one.

Interestingly though, my old Truman dog was the opposite: just would NOT fetch a ball, grab a hide, or do anything else ... hated to run too ... but he sure loved to brawl with another male :mrgreen:

Jack

MISTER
12-31-2011, 10:20 AM
He would play tug-o-war as a pup. But as he got older, he became disinterested in the rope or hide. He will however fetch the ball all day long. I just don't like letting him run loose off the lead.

mert
01-03-2012, 10:26 AM
To Jack: How could I work a dog like your Truman dog?

Dre21
01-05-2012, 07:51 AM
He would play tug-o-war as a pup. But as he got older, he became disinterested in the rope or hide. He will however fetch the ball all day long. I just don't like letting him run loose off the lead.
One thing you can do is get some 2 50' leads and connect them so the animal is'nt loose, just an idea...

Bojacc357
01-05-2012, 08:27 AM
I had a few like this I bought from others. I let them chew the hide just a Lil and tugged on it. After a while they started really holding it to keep it. I then got it from them and kind of flirt pole it to see how much they wanted it. After this I put them in a chain spot next to a tree and went back to the tug of war method just with the hide hung in the tree with me pulling the other side. After doing this a while I hung it on the spring and they had fun. Some will just got straight from chew and tug method to springpole.

Bojacc357
01-05-2012, 08:29 AM
One thing you can do is get some 2 50' leads and connect them so the animal is'nt loose, just an idea...

Also if he will fetch a ball put a Kong Ball on you springpole then.

Officially Retired
01-05-2012, 11:27 AM

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have bothered matching him.

I would only bother conditioning a dog who LOVED work, rather than one who hated (or who was disinterested in) work.

There are too many dogs who are eager to work to bother with one who doesn't like to work.

A non-worker would have to be absolutely sensational for me even to think about working him, and most dogs are a far cry from sensational.

mert
01-05-2012, 01:09 PM

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have bothered matching him.

I would only bother conditioning a dog who LOVED work, rather than one who hated (or who was disinterested in) work.

There are too many dogs who are eager to work to bother with one who doesn't like to work.

A non-worker would have to be absolutely sensational for me even to think about working him, and most dogs are a far cry from sensational.
He's 16 months and I had him since 8wks but cant get him to do any kind of work all he want to do is get to his neighbor be it male or female