PDA

View Full Version : mackrel

pig mad
09-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Whats your thoughts on mackrel as a main source of protein in dogs feed?

Officially Retired
10-01-2012, 05:25 AM
Mackerel is a helluva source of protein and overall nutrition compared to many meat sources ... having more vitamin and minerals than most of the mainstays, more protein, and a decent amount of fat/oils.

pig mad
10-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Yeah right my mate owns makerel boats gives me off cuts for the mutts i know bit h i gave him is fat as fuck and very shiney thought it might be good in right amount

R2L
10-01-2012, 11:33 AM
never give more then 1 markrel at once unless u want your dogs to puke or have diaria. its a very fat fish
imo its best to give fish once a week, or two times a week half a portion.

evolutionkennels
10-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Good in keep. Does give the runs if fed too much

pig mad
10-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Id be surprised if my mates bitch eats anything but. Im just looking at it instead of pig since i read that shit on here bout the worms that dont die in the freezer..

Officially Retired
10-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Good in keep. Does give the runs if fed too much

Yeah, I wouldn't use it every day either ... no kind of fish actually.

But 1x-2x/week it's a good, highly-nutritious (and cheap) staple.

Officially Retired
10-01-2012, 03:29 PM
never give more then 1 markrel at once unless u want your dogs to puke or have diaria. its a very fat fish
imo its best to give fish once a week, or two times a week half a portion.

Actually, chicken & beef have more fat than mackerel ... and mackerel has more protein.

Jack

DVN
10-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Which is better Mackerel or Sardines (in water)? I feed one or the other 2 or 3 times a week. I'm thinking Sardines but I could be wrong.

hogdog
10-01-2012, 11:01 PM
You are right about the sardines. Sardines are low on the oceanic food chain, and therefore contain low amounts of mercury, PCBs and the other toxins that accumulate in longer-living marine predators such as salmon and tuna. Mackerel is very high in mercury. I dont have the time to elaborate on the negative effects of mercury but just google it and youll see why it would be foolish to feed something high in mercury to working animals when there is a healthier alternative.

Officially Retired
10-02-2012, 05:32 AM
You are right about the sardines. Sardines are low on the oceanic food chain, and therefore contain low amounts of mercury, PCBs and the other toxins that accumulate in longer-living marine predators such as salmon and tuna. Mackerel is very high in mercury. I dont have the time to elaborate on the negative effects of mercury but just google it and youll see why it would be foolish to feed something high in mercury to working animals when there is a healthier alternative.

Actually, according to this list (http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp), North Atlantic/Chub mackerel (which is what I buy) is one of the lowest in mercury also ... so it would be foolish to dismiss mackerel as a staple based on a false belief.

Both of these fish have a high degree of essential nutrients, compared to other meats, both of them have very high Vitamin D content (for healthy bones) ... but mackerel (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4074/2) has nearly 8x the amount of Vitamin A that sardines carry ... while sardines (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4114/2) have 28x the Omega-6 fatty acid profile as mackerel ... and both are very high in Omega-3 fatty acids. So both of them seem like fine choices.

A knock on both of these fishes is that they're both extremely high in sodium ...

Jack

Abe
10-02-2012, 08:10 AM
If you already feed an oz a day of fresh salmon daily and 1/2 oz of flaxseed oil every other day do you think a dog could still benefit from feeding either of these fish ?

FrostyPaws
10-04-2012, 03:33 PM
You shouldn't be feeding your dog any type of flax seed oil.

R2L
10-04-2012, 03:58 PM
? flax oil is great

heritage
10-05-2012, 10:33 AM
You shouldn't be feeding your dog any type of flax seed oil.

Why shouldnt flax seed oil be fed?

Abe
10-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Explanation ?

FarmersChoice
10-05-2012, 11:38 AM
i have a buddy that uses falx seed meal in his mix recipes

FrostyPaws
10-06-2012, 07:33 PM
I've posted an article on this board where it's explained why flax isn't recommended for dogs.

Flax oil is great for people but not so much for dogs. Use wheat germ if you want to use an oil such as that. Even canola oil is better for assimilated in a dog than flax oil.

Abe
10-08-2012, 08:49 AM
If you already feed an oz a day of fresh salmon daily and 1/2 oz of flaxseed oil every other day do you think a dog could still benefit from feeding either of these fish ?

Ca Jack or anyone with hard facts ?

Black Hand
10-16-2012, 04:00 PM
made my dogs shit water lol

pig mad
10-20-2012, 01:32 AM
My mutts love it and their shit stays good he gives me 10kg boxs just give em a strip a day had to boil it at start but they love it raw now..