PDA

View Full Version : Wright Inbreeding Coefficient

Black Hand
10-17-2012, 04:16 PM
When checking the percentage, is all documented generations equally important as say the first 4 or 6 generations?
Should one be looking at the percentage over the first 4 generations or 10 generations to get a somewhat accurate idea of how tight a breeding is?
Do you take into an account that a lot of these dogs arent how they are papered, so your percentage may not so high?

Officially Retired
10-17-2012, 05:20 PM
When checking the percentage, is all documented generations equally important as say the first 4 or 6 generations?
Should one be looking at the percentage over the first 4 generations or 10 generations to get a somewhat accurate idea of how tight a breeding is?
Do you take into an account that a lot of these dogs arent how they are papered, so your percentage may not so high?

In all cases, the further back into the pedigree you go, the more meaningful the WIC becomes (and, of course, the more dogs that are actually entered-into the pedigree, the truer the reading is).

There is, however, no way for any pedigree program to overcome false paperwork.

Jack

ResidentKennel
10-17-2012, 08:52 PM
In all cases, the further back into the pedigree you go, the more meaningful the WIC becomes (and, of course, the more dogs that are actually entered-into the pedigree, the truer the reading is).

There is, however, no way for any pedigree program to overcome false paperwork.

Jack

I was wondering the same thing. How far to go back, but I never really thought about the accuracy past a certain point.

Officially Retired
10-18-2012, 05:09 AM
I generally only go back 10 generations.

The accuracy is only as good as the data entry in the pedigree, but if that data entry is correct then so too will be the coefficient :)

Jack

evolutionkennels
10-18-2012, 05:24 AM
My software goes back 19 generations. It's a good tool.

Officially Retired
10-18-2012, 05:37 AM
I have the old Compuped Pedigree program, which goes back to 30 generations. Most other software programs end at 10-15 generations (like The Breeder's Standard, which I also have).

I have found, however, that the most drastic differences are when you reach back from 4-6 generations to 10-15 generations ... but when you reach beyond 15 generations the difference becomes negligible.

Jack

evolutionkennels
10-18-2012, 06:55 AM
Agreed

Black Hand
10-18-2012, 01:00 PM
In the database, if i click back 12 gens. "Unknown" is gonna come up. so if it comes up repeatedly this may look like the same dog over and over. does the database recognize this as a blank spot or is it accounted for in the percentage?

Officially Retired
10-18-2012, 02:12 PM
That is a good question, and it is NOT counted in the percentages :)