PDA

View Full Version : Complications

Black Hand
10-19-2012, 01:20 PM
I bred a bitch for her first time. She was 5 in a half years of age. She had 8 pups but had to have them by way of C-section. I took her to the vet at about 67 days from the day she was last stuck. After X-rays and all that we decided to hit her with the oxytocin. The vet gave her 3 shots of oxytocin periodically. So one shot, we waited... no go. Another shot and so on. After 3 injections and some time later, no real mucus plug no nothing. She was acting the same. I ended up going with the C-section to be safe. I don't know if she would have had them naturally had I went home. That's the story.

So, do you guys think the age she was bred for the first time played a role in her not being able to deliver them?

Do you think I would encounter the same problem if she was to be bred again?

Officially Retired
10-19-2012, 01:50 PM
I bred a bitch for her first time. She was 5 in a half years of age. She had 8 pups but had to have them by way of C-section. I took her to the vet at about 67 days from the day she was last stuck. After X-rays and all that we decided to hit her with the oxytocin. The vet gave her 3 shots of oxytocin periodically. So one shot, we waited... no go. Another shot and so on. After 3 injections and some time later, no real mucus plug no nothing. She was acting the same. I ended up going with the C-section to be safe. I don't know if she would have had them naturally had I went home. That's the story.
So, do you guys think the age she was bred for the first time played a role in her not being able to deliver them?
Do you think I would encounter the same problem if she was to be bred again?

There is not necessarily a problem at all.

The date "you stick her" isn't necessarily the day her eggs are ready :idea:

Suppose, on the last day you stuck her, that her eggs weren't ready for another 4 days. Since the semen can live for 5 days, she just got fertilized later than the date she was stuck, and that means you took her to the vet on Day 63 from when she was ready ... and she still might not be ready to give birth for another 2-3 days, which is longer than usual, but still within normal parameters.

Not saying that what you did was "wrong," per se, but she might not have had a problem at all. If her pups were fine, and she was healthy and eating, then there was no 'problem' actually present, just a bitch who hadn't yet gone into labor ... and a worried owner :)

Jack

Black Hand
10-19-2012, 02:00 PM
There is not necessarily a problem at all.

The date "you stick her" isn't necessarily the day her eggs are ready :idea:

Suppose, on the last day you stuck her, that her eggs weren't ready for another 4 days. Since the semen can live for 5 days, she just got fertilized later than the date she was stuck, and that means you took her to the vet on Day 63 from when she was ready ... and she still might not be ready to give birth for another 2-3 days, which is longer than usual, but still within normal parameters.

Not saying that what you did was "wrong," per se, but she might not have had a problem at all. If her pups were fine, and she was healthy and eating, then there was no 'problem' actually present, just a bitch who hadn't yet gone into labor ... and a worried owner :)

Jack

I thought about this. The days from actual conception. I was feeling pressured from my vet and did not want to lose my pups and especially my female. So I was a bit panicked. Definitely a couple lessons learned though, cuz it turned out to be a real expensive litter but definitely worth the trouble and money either way.

The oxytocin, 3 shots of it. That should have sent her into labor though, right?

I'm kind of iffy to breed her again is why I'm asking. On one hand, I'd love to breed her again. On second thought... I have a female out of that litter. So i'm kind of weighing the pro's and cons

Black Hand
10-19-2012, 02:01 PM
In the X-ray the pups were not in position to come out. they were still floating about.

Officially Retired
10-19-2012, 02:07 PM
If the pups weren't in position, that just means she wasn't ready to go into labor yet ... hence no problems :)

If she was in labor, but not able to get them out, then there would be a real problem.

Seems to me she was perfectly fine and just hadn't gone into labor :)

Jack

Black Hand
10-19-2012, 02:09 PM
If the pups weren't in position, that just means she wasn't ready to go into labor yet ... hence no problems :)

If she was in labor, but not able to get them out, then there would be a real problem.

Seems to me she was perfectly fine and just hadn't gone into labor :)

Jack

Well, thats what common sense told me too. The vet was kind of giving me the wrong idea though. Telling me her cervix could been folded over, and that its in the best interest of the female to get them out because we dont know how many in there are still alive. I was like :crying: okay get em out! Lol

Officially Retired
10-19-2012, 02:16 PM
He's a good salesman and he got paid ;)

Glad your pups are okay though :D

Jack

CRISIS
10-19-2012, 03:28 PM
what about breeding her again, i was told that once a bitch was c sectioned she couldnt ever have a natural birth again? do you think it would hurt to breed her again jack?

Black Hand
10-19-2012, 04:02 PM
what about breeding her again, i was told that once a bitch was c sectioned she couldnt ever have a natural birth again? do you think it would hurt to breed her again jack?

A dog with a C-section can be bred again.
That's like saying a woman with a Csection can only have one child.
As long as the vet leaves the dog intact, they can be bred again.

Black Hand
10-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Only difference is, with people... there is usually good reason for the C-section. Like if the baby cant pass. So more than likely they will just do a C-section every time after that. Which is why this question is important. Cuz if there was no real problem, then a C-section may not be necessary. But if there was a real problem the dog can still be bred, only another C-section would be needed.

Officially Retired
10-19-2012, 07:04 PM

Hi there;

Sure, you can breed a bitch again (I have had bitches have natural births after c-sections too), but it's nice to give them a break though the next time around.

Jack