PDA

View Full Version : Elk, deer, moose, antelope, bear meat

Ipk
12-28-2011, 02:52 PM
For those of you who don't hunt and those of you who do. Hunting season is a prime time to acquire these bones, meat and organs. Every year you will see advertisements in your local newspaper for butchering wild game. Merely call this the number and bargain your bones and such. (hint most will give you the bones if you haul them away... And the bones are always nice.(tendons, meat, and fresh.)

It can definetly help cut a feed bill.

Take care,
Ipk

PureGrit
12-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Thats what I did and it worked out great I havent had to pay for food for my hounds for over three months know. I go and pick up the meat and bone scraps every other day and feed it out as well as put some back in the freezer for when the season runs out. Most has been deer but also had some bear as well, the bear has alot of fat which balances the lean deer meat. My only problem with it is it doesnt last all yr long, but I will take what I can get. Pure Grit

Ipk
12-28-2011, 07:10 PM
It would be nice to achieve it all year... And yes the bear has great fat for the dogs... I have been on mainly elk and deer with a little moose and bear this new year. (wish I'd had more bear this year.)

I will be trying horse sometime this year (just passed the law to raise horse in my area for meet) (got an old guy who cornered the market here. He couldn't have been nicer about it!)... (excited to try it)

redmistkennel
12-28-2011, 08:50 PM
meat processors will usually give you all the bones and scrap also

Officially Retired
12-29-2011, 08:02 AM
This is a very thoughtful post; however I would urge folks to think twice about feeding a) pig meat, b) bear meat, or c) salmon meat.

Raw pig and bear meat can both contain trichinosis, which is a much more serious worm infestation that 1) can be fatal and 2) doesn't get eradicated by either standard worming meds or standard worming dosages.

Salmon meat can contain both a liver worm (Nanophyetus salmincola), which is also very tough to eradicate as it takes much higher drug dosages to kill, as well as a protozoan parasite (Neorickettsia helminthoeca), which is almost always fatal to a dog. In fact, the aforementioned worm is often the host of the deadly Neorickettsia protozoa ...

Jack

PS: Always make sure you're adding plenty of BONE to any raw diet.

Ipk
12-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Jack thank you for the response. I knew that pig and salmon was no good, but did not know that about bear meat. (i will cut the bear out of the diet... Better safe than sorry!) Thank you again.