PDA

View Full Version : Litter problem guestion

Morocco
10-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Hello, yea can someone please help me figure out what my 1o day old pup might have, well it started with one I noticed on a pups back that the fur looked wet, so I touched it, come to find out that the fur felt real hard, so as I looked closly I noticed it had like some kind of sore as I moved away the fur, I think it had been oozing, and it smelled funny, so I cleaned it wit water, and days later some of the other littermates had the same thing, so, but the have good appetite, ect, please help me figure this out b4 I spend a lot of money at a vet, hopefully there somthin I can take care of myself, jack what u think.?

pig mad
10-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Have had this most litters i think might be from urinating on each other if it same thing they always lived be better if put a picture up

bianchi
10-24-2012, 02:30 PM
sounds like cradle crap ,, use abit of baby oil worked on a cpl pups of mine !!

Officially Retired
10-25-2012, 03:31 AM
Hello, yea can someone please help me figure out what my 1o day old pup might have, well it started with one I noticed on a pups back that the fur looked wet, so I touched it, come to find out that the fur felt real hard, so as I looked closly I noticed it had like some kind of sore as I moved away the fur, I think it had been oozing, and it smelled funny, so I cleaned it wit water, and days later some of the other littermates had the same thing, so, but the have good appetite, ect, please help me figure this out b4 I spend a lot of money at a vet, hopefully there somthin I can take care of myself, jack what u think.?

Sounds like there is a lot of nastiness in their whelping area.

I would bathe them with a Betadine shampoo, bathe the mama, and clean-out wherever area they are nursing in.

Jack

Morocco
10-26-2012, 01:29 PM
nastiness, not, they are inside dogs, but fyi, i did disenfect the area, they are in an empty room with blankets, so time will tell thanks

Officially Retired
10-29-2012, 04:31 AM
Didn't mean to imply that you didn't clean, but (after a bitch whelps) the area she's in, the pups, and even her own coat get covered by slime/discharge ... which (even though you can't see it) still can "rot" and get nasty, creating bacterial colonies which can cause infection/skin disorders.

This is why, after whelping, it is a good idea to bathe the pups and the bitch, then disinfect the area, and finally put them back in a clean environment.

Also keep in mind that (even after doing all of this) that pups shit and piss constantly, all-day and all-night, and so even if you disinfected the area + washed the pups after the birth, that the mama and pups will soon be covered with shit/piss/bacteria all over again. So it pays to wash the group and area at least once a week after that.

Betadine and Nolvasan shampoos are great for this IMO.

Good luck,

Jack

Morocco
10-31-2012, 12:34 PM
oh ok, thanks jack i will try that.

pig mad
10-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Good advice jack wish i got it 2 weeks ago hahaha my bitch has lost a bit of hair..

Officially Retired
10-31-2012, 05:11 PM

Sure :)

It happens before you know it: all the hair starts falling out and then little scabs form here and there.

That really used to happen to me alot in TN, in the winter. It was so cold no one wanted to venture out, and they would shit and piss all day/night in the straw. If I didn't replace all the straw, and bleach the box, every other day ... the pups would look like shit awfully fast ... and when I would sometimes have 4-6 litters of pups back then it was a major pain in the ass :angry:

Jack