PDA

View Full Version : I.V catheters

scary
10-25-2012, 03:46 PM
A quick question generally what gauge do you all use and why.
Thanks in advance scary

scary
10-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Bump bump??

TopShelfKennels
10-30-2012, 03:11 PM
18ga, 20ga or 22ga depending on the dogs size. But you should be safe with a 22ga needle usually, I have used 18ga's but only on dogs over 50lbs.

just_cory
10-30-2012, 09:47 PM
i agree with top shelf kennels -- from 18 - 22 gauge, depending on dog's veins, but also on the person's skill. if rusty or not fully experienced, i'd recommend going with a higher-numbered gauge catheter to almost guarantee insertion instead of potentially blowing the vein with a lower-numbered gauge one.

FrostyPaws
10-31-2012, 10:49 AM
I would never use a 22 gauge as it simply doesn't allow the FL run at a fast enough rate if needed. You could use an 18 gauge if you can hit a vein big enough to support it, and that won't be easy to do with a dog in shock that will really need the fluids. A person is going to blow a vein simply by going through the vein upon insertion or threading the catheter into the vein. The gauge of the needle rarely has anything to do with blowing a vein IME.

We've always used a 20ga. Once you get the catheter inserted correctly and FL running, wrap it with vet wrap to keep it secure. Once you run FL, do not take the catheter out. If so, you will have to start another IV if the dog starts to crash. Cap it so you can use it as much as needed for 5-7 days.

Officially Retired
10-31-2012, 05:04 PM
I would never use a 22 gauge as it simply doesn't allow the FL run at a fast enough rate if needed. You could use an 18 gauge if you can hit a vein big enough to support it, and that won't be easy to do with a dog in shock that will really need the fluids. A person is going to blow a vein simply by going through the vein upon insertion or threading the catheter into the vein. The gauge of the needle rarely has anything to do with blowing a vein IME.

We've always used a 20ga. Once you get the catheter inserted correctly and FL running, wrap it with vet wrap to keep it secure. Once you run FL, do not take the catheter out. If so, you will have to start another IV if the dog starts to crash. Cap it so you can use it as much as needed for 5-7 days.

Agreed: 20 gauge is what has always worked best for me too.

22 is too small; 18 is too big.

Jack