PDA

View Full Version : How many rounds of vaccines?

act284
10-25-2012, 10:04 PM
I've given my recent litter their first 2 sets at 6 weeks old, and 9 weeks old. They are 10 weeks old and I am prepared to give the next set at 12 weeks old. In the bible Jack suggested that we also give a 4th round. My question is if this is necessary because I have always done 3 sets starting at week 8, following at 11, and final ones at 14 week.

I am a believer of less is better in general unless necessary.

What do you guys think? and what is your viewpoints on the coronavirus vaccine?

R2L
10-26-2012, 03:44 AM
at 6,9 and 12 weeks old.

Officially Retired
10-29-2012, 04:34 AM
at 6,9 and 12 weeks old.

Yep!

FrostyPaws
11-03-2012, 06:58 PM
I only give one round of vaccinations, and that round is at 6 weeks old. After that, no one is vaccinated any longer.

Officially Retired
11-04-2012, 01:38 PM
I only give one round of vaccinations, and that round is at 6 weeks old. After that, no one is vaccinated any longer.

Curious to know your reasoning on this, as most of the literature on the vaccines themselves suggest they be given @ 6, 9, and 12 weeks of age.

Jack

FrostyPaws
11-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Mainly due to articles and what not where I've read too much vaccination is actually detrimental to the developing immune system. So, I just started giving only one vaccination years ago. I've not seen any evidence in it making any difference to be honest, but then again, I'm not able to study or test any of those ideas on my end.

Officially Retired
11-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Mainly due to articles and what not where I've read too much vaccination is actually detrimental to the developing immune system. So, I just started giving only one vaccination years ago. I've not seen any evidence in it making any difference to be honest, but then again, I'm not able to study or test any of those ideas on my end.

This "compromised immune system" theory applies more to adult dogs being given vaccines, rather than puppies. It is an absolute fact that puppies given shots will have FAR better immunity to parvo/carona, etc. than non-immunized pups.

In puppies, they have no immune system at first, and only operate off of the mama's colostrum ... then, gradually, they develop their own immune system.

The idea behind the shots is to challenge that developing immune system with "modified, live" viruses (viruses that are weakened enough not to kill the pups, but strong enough to elicit an immune response), so that immunity is achieved quickly by prompting the pup's body to respond to the challenge.

It is generally (almost universally) agreed now that shots at 6, 9, and 12 weeks of age are what is required to effectively bridge that "window" (where the pup is going from no immunity to building its own immunity). Shots given at earlier than 6 weeks of age can be too much too soon ... while shots given after 12 weeks of age are superfluous.

Therefore, I would recommend sticking with the accepted science of 3 giving shots, each 3 weeks apart, spanning the 6th, 9th, and 12th week.

Jack

act284
11-15-2012, 10:48 PM
What about shots following the initial 3?

Officially Retired
11-16-2012, 02:53 AM
I don't bother giving shots after that, except perhaps rabies shots.

skipper
11-16-2012, 03:56 AM
I do it at 8 and 12 weeks, 1yo. Then every other year or so. Use Nobivac DHPPi

S_B
09-14-2013, 10:34 AM
I to stopped vaccinating my pups as I didn't see a need for so much vaccinating. Before that I was an over vaccinating type....trying to make sure I had my bases covered. But we all know to much of a good thing isn't a good thing at all.

What happened is a strange virus went through the yard, it was like parvo but it wasn't parvo. It wasn't coccidia either. A dogman friend who was a tech as well was stumped and just called it parvo and treated it as such. Well I lost the pup we treated. The others that I treated with injectable sulfa and fluids bounced back and that was that.

Long story short, I've found that vaccinating on the 6,9 & 12 is the right choice, at least its worked for me and I never follow up with a booster.