PDA

View Full Version : question board

FarmersChoice
10-26-2012, 07:26 AM
i have a great topic that was brought up do you think messing up on rest in a keep can make your dog loose mouth for a hunt but still keep a fast pace and finish ?

R2L
10-26-2012, 07:37 AM
what do you mean with "messing up on rest" ?

FarmersChoice
10-26-2012, 10:22 AM
well my budd was saying he struggled on weight and his bitch and wasn't rested enough for the hunt and said she kept her pace and finished first in the race hunt but didnt have the mouth she usually possessed

Eliman
10-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Most don't after a keep there not the same hound conditioned vs chain weight while in keep your conditioning the jaw mussels as well and can often be worked to hard and result is not fatigue but sore also take in mind while schooling you have mulitable sessions ranging from 5 min to 20 min in school its bite power is natural some display the crunch and not what effect of 30 mins of holding has while in the woods most hunts are 30 min to 1 hour hounds are diff in type of hard mouth (pressure biters) and intelagence ( picking there spot and knowing when to crank it up ) if she kept a normal pace but didn't show her normal mouth eaither there was to much spring pole work and the jaw musles where sore or she won but never got to her spot

RoughNeck

Officially Retired
10-29-2012, 04:46 AM
well my budd was saying he struggled on weight and his bitch and wasn't rested enough for the hunt and said she kept her pace and finished first in the race hunt but didnt have the mouth she usually possessed

Each case would have to be individually assessed and analyzed ... and so each case would be impossible to answer with precision w/o seeing the individual dog and really understand all that happened in its keep.

Certainly, "lack of rest" won't help any animal do anything, and I think alertness, strength, and speed would suffer most from this. I know when I am under-rested, that my reflexes & reaction times are way down ... as is everything else.

But lack of mouth can also come from being too light, etc.

Jack

R2L
10-29-2012, 04:56 AM
i dont know better then not to work the mouth in a keep.
if so i would stop at least 3 weeks before an event.

evolutionkennels
10-29-2012, 06:14 AM
All mouth work should cease 21 days before. Dog bites best at his ideal weight. First time we looked at machobuck, he was 70 pounds hog fat. His true weight was around 50. Well at 70, he couldn't bust a grape. We. Looked at him against a brother of awesome Buck. It went 10 minutes. He couldnt work. We shaved him down to 55, and he finished him in 8 minutes. Moses refused to believe itvwas the same dog. The rest is history... 18, 21, 28,31,1:27 (doa at 39)

R2L
10-29-2012, 06:19 AM
so a dog cant only lose his biting power when putting him to light but also when to heavy. new info for me. although 20 pounds is a whole lot :D

do you have a picture of machobuck on his true weight?

evolutionkennels
10-29-2012, 06:24 AM
I can email them.