PDA

View Full Version : Is training in cold temperatures always better?

R2L
10-28-2012, 02:51 AM
If you compare training a dog in the house with 20C/68F or in the shed where it's like 7C/44F.

Training the dog inside the house will run him/her hot faster. But let's say a dog can run the treadmill 40 minutes inside while an equal dog outside runs 60 minutes. If you take that dog from inside to outside, would it run the 60 minutes just as easy?

Guess it will need allot more water and im questiong myself whether both dogs will have the same air.

Im in dubiety because training outside can cause more problems with the neighbors for me. But the dog's come first.

Thanks!

Officially Retired
10-29-2012, 04:39 AM
If you compare training a dog in the house with 20C/68F or in the shed where it's like 7C/44F.
Training the dog inside the house will run him/her hot faster. But let's say a dog can run the treadmill 40 minutes inside while an equal dog outside runs 60 minutes. If you take that dog from inside to outside, would it run the 60 minutes just as easy?
Guess it will need allot more water and im questiong myself whether both dogs will have the same air.
Im in dubiety because training outside can cause more problems with the neighbors for me. But the dog's come first.
Thanks!

Actually, you should train the dog in an environment which (as closely as possible) mimics the environment of where the match will be happening :idea:

This is one of the things I learned from Hardcore Kennels, who lost with Doogie by failing to do this. He was training Doogie in a hot, humid Florida climate ... and matched his lean, strapping dog in a cold Michigan climate ... and Doogie was ill-prepared for this drastic difference.

I also remember Pinky & the Brain saying, when he traveled from a cold climate to a humid one, that he would increase the temperature of the room his dog trained in, and would even run boiling water to create steam (to mimic the humidity), again trying to approximate as closely as possible the climate his dog would actually be competing in.

Hope this helps,

Jack

R2L
10-29-2012, 04:57 AM
Thanks jack it does. Someone was also that kind to send me a PM.

I have moved it outside

pig mad
10-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Im in trouble then i cant fit my dog in the fridge thats the comparison to were all the shows are to were i am..

R2L
10-29-2012, 11:25 AM
you might want use a good air conditioner in a small isolated space

pig mad
10-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Yeah may do coldest it gets here is 15 celcius at that time it probably at least 10 less elsewhere

R2L
10-29-2012, 12:27 PM
let them come to you :D

pig mad
10-29-2012, 12:52 PM
I wish i tried that this year hence i did a lot of pig catching hahaha

FrostyPaws
10-30-2012, 08:29 AM
PaTB did that when he matched Rapid Roy into Kirkland. He went from the cold, backwoods of Canada to Louisiana, and he proceeded to destroy Kirkland's animal in a little over an hour.

EWO
11-16-2012, 07:28 PM
I prefer colder temperatures, reason being every dog needs a certain amount of work. Just for numbers sake and easy math let's say a dog needs 100 sprints (you fill in the type and amount of work you prefer) to be ready for the show. In colder temperatures it may take 2 hours to complete all 100 sprints. That leaves the dog with 22 hours to re-fuel and rest. The same dog needs the same amount of work in the warmer temperatures but due to those warmer temperatures it may take 4 hours to get the same 100 sprints completed. That would leave 20 hours to refuel and rest. Even when the dog is recovering during those 100 warm weather sprints over that 4 hour period he is not truly resting. The dogs can perform in the warmer temperatures but the amount of work needed takes more time and puts more on the dog. This time adds up. EWO

FrostyPaws
11-16-2012, 07:53 PM
All of this is relevant on the dog being worked also. I've had a couple of dogs that could and would work as hard in the summer as most dogs do in the winter due to their ability to suck wind better than any dogs I've ever seen. That is exactly why they were chosen to perform in the summer months. Whereas most dogs are blowing hot and just trying to push through, these couple of dogs never hit a heat wall or had an issue with the heat due to their ability to breath in such a way that it made no difference the temperature.