PDA

View Full Version : Grocery Store raw diet

CRISIS
10-31-2012, 09:23 PM
so is there anybody on here feedin theyre dogs a raw diet of meat from the local supermarket, such as tyson, foster farms ect.?

reason i ask is i remember somebody saying something about mainstream market meats containing antibiotics and growth harmones and such, about how it doesnt affect us because we cook it, but feeding it to them raw immunizes them from antibiotics. is this fact or theory?? im curious how many of you shop at the local winco and get your 10lbs of chicken?!?!

tasoschatz
11-01-2012, 02:07 AM
I guess this is universal as an issue, but unless you feed organic, which is ridiculously expensive, at least here, or you live in Australia and have access to wild boar, what can you do then?
I do not know if antibiotics are destroyed through cooking but I feel that the FDA approves for consumption without examining if the meat is cooked or not. Some people preffere their stake rare, others well done.

bxpits
11-01-2012, 02:13 AM
i feed store bought leg quarters and chicken backs. i go to the butcher for everything else.

Officially Retired
11-04-2012, 05:09 PM
so is there anybody on here feedin theyre dogs a raw diet of meat from the local supermarket, such as tyson, foster farms ect.?
reason i ask is i remember somebody saying something about mainstream market meats containing antibiotics and growth harmones and such, about how it doesnt affect us because we cook it, but feeding it to them raw immunizes them from antibiotics. is this fact or theory?? im curious how many of you shop at the local winco and get your 10lbs of chicken?!?!

Since I only have 1 dog now, I am now doing just that: all organic raw products.

Jack

pig mad
11-04-2012, 05:49 PM
I guess this is universal as an issue, but unless you feed organic, which is ridiculously expensive, at least here, or you live in Australia and have access to wild boar, what can you do then?
I do not know if antibiotics are destroyed through cooking but I feel that the FDA approves for consumption without examining if the meat is cooked or not. Some people preffere their stake rare, others well done.

I have been told numerous times that boar meat is no good for em and as that is main source of meat for me id be happy if someone could confirm that...

scratchin dog
11-04-2012, 11:03 PM
I have been told numerous times that boar meat is no good for em and as that is main source of meat for me id be happy if someone could confirm that...

Raw boar meat is not good for the dogs. It can contain trichinosis. Trichinosis (trichinellosis or trichiniasis) is a parasitic disease caused by a roundworm (nematode) parasite called Trichinella spiralis. The dog is infected by eating the raw meat of wild boar or bear. Freezing the meat for several weeks may kill the parasite, but why take a chance?

scratchin dog
11-04-2012, 11:10 PM
I buy meat for the dogs from the supermarket. Mainly the thighs, hearts/gizzards and backs. I get the organ meat and tripe from Hare-Today.com because there is more variety than what I can find in local stores. My Walmart sells whole intestines, as well as cow tongue and kidney.

tasoschatz
11-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Domesticated pork meat can have trichinellosis which is an issue and exists , at least here in Greece. Wild boar, I am not sure if it carries it or not. To be honest, because I think I have seen pig mad at other forums, this is the reason I mentioned Australia. I believe that because of increased raw food consumption by humans in restaurants etc, they have directions of freezing and neutralise almost everything today, but again I am not sure.
Personally, I do not feed pork.

Officially Retired
11-05-2012, 03:01 AM
That is another bad trait, regarding the pork/trichinosis issue: namely that trichinia worms are not killed by freezing ...

tasoschatz
11-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Dear Aussie friend, sell the boar and buy something else, meanwhile enjoy your ribs.