PDA

View Full Version : what's the best do when overworked a dog in keep

R2L
11-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Made a stupid(to enthusiastic) beginners mistake i guess. Just starting week 3 and my dog limped after his mill session. (30 minutes) I think because he did to much intense sprinting. I didnt notice any bad signs when he was on the mill. Took him for a piss 3 houres after the training and he limps even more. It looks like his front leg.

I give rest every wednesday saturday and sunday just like in jacks keep. He worked 30 minutes yesterday as well and he was fine, but it wasnt as intense as today. Thought he could have it and then recover 70 houres.

I handwalk 30 minutes before putting him on the mill and walk him 15 minutes after every millsession to cool down.

Now what's the best things i can do. I cant think of much more then to wait untill he walks fine and then resume with 20 minutes trot. (if hes not going to sprint like an idiot again)

thanks

OGDOGG
11-16-2012, 01:51 PM
The keep should start with long hours of walks. It's like building a house. You want to start with the foundation first, then work your way up to the roof. Meaning you're only at week 3 and he's working like you're peaking him. The first 30-60 minutes should be warm up only. Slow down and you will see better results.

R2L
11-16-2012, 02:22 PM
I walk 30 minutes before i put him on the treadmill yes. But this was definitely way to much....
You know you done the wrong thing in the end, and still i did it.... i always have to learn the hard way one time.

i had put him on the mill with a harnass instead of a collar since thursday. i was watching back a video of today and it also looks like its pulling him up a bit. maybe he cannot correctly put his front legs on the ground?

OGDOGG
11-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Save the sprinting for the last 3 weeks. 30 minutes of walking wont win him a trophy. You're at your 3rd week already, he should be walking or trotting on the mill for 8-12 hours building up his legs for the strength work and cardio at the end of his keep. Walk him more, twice a day if you have to. Gotta get them hours in bro. That's how you win.

R2L
11-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Appreciate the advise, i was kinda following the workpart of jack's 60 days mill keep. untill someone told me he could take more work and i changed to 30 minutes instead of 20 and on top of that i didnt let him recover today. the rabbit was controlling him.

Well, i hope he's good soon, he's limping his right front leg. I really thbink it has something to do with the harnass too, changing back to a collar

OGDOGG
11-16-2012, 04:47 PM
You don't need harness on a slat. Use the collar instead. Only use the harness when he's training for strength. I think jacks keep is for a seasoned dog who's been through a keep or two but not for a young first time out dog. That's the reason why your dog got hurt. He's not used to a strenuous keep.

EWO
11-16-2012, 06:53 PM
One thing to remember is that no keep is perfect and no keep or plan should be carved in stone. The dog dictates the frequency and the amount of work each day. A written down keep is nothing more than an outline of the types of work. Instead seeing them written down 'mill for XXX amount of minutes on Monday and hand walk for XXX amount of minutes on Tuesday and swim XXX amount of minutes on Wednesday'. I would rather see 'hand walk your dog til he gets tired, mark the time, wait for his recovery and walk him some more. Then improve upon these times gradually. And use this method for whatever exercise one is using.
Not just Jack's keeps, but anyone who has one written down, if it is written some new guy will follow it to a "T", regardless if it has ill effects on the dog.
My advice would be allow your dog to rest until his leg issue is resolved, regardless of what the plan or the chart says do, even if it means postponing a planned gathering. Continuing with the course with the dog in question will result in trying to show a three legged dog. Best of luck. EWO

FrostyPaws
11-16-2012, 08:02 PM
R2L, your dog could've just as easily twisted something slightly on the mill. There's no guarantee that 30 minutes is the cause of it. A dog should be able to run for 30 minutes on a mill after 3 weeks without any type of issues given they're in relatively decent shape to begin with.

A lot of keeps are opinionated. Take OG. He uses a collar. I use a harness in all work I do whether it's mill or a jenny. I don't think 30 minutes of sprinting a dog is peaking a dog as I have my dogs sprinting from the first week to the last. It's all opinionated on what works for someone or what they like for their dog to do. Did you check the dog's pads to see if they had any damage from the running? I personally don't see how a harness is going to make a dog limp simply because a harness was used. If the dog is limping, it's from doing something physically not from wearing a harness.

My personal thoughts are that if a dog can't give you a good 30 minutes after 3 weeks, then you may be working the wrong dog.

R2L
11-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the responses.

That was the first day of week 3 @ frosty. I been doing 15 minutes last week, not all out. I think Ogdogg is right, its not a young dog but it is a dog who's never been off the chain or worked before, before i picked him up. I will send you a video of yesterday's work in private. Maybe you can see what i meant the harness. Lifting the dog up which might have cause an injury? I hope not. The pads are fine.