PDA

View Full Version : worming

warready
12-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Following your worming chart, in December you use ivomec,piperazine,panacur and droncit. I've never used more than one wormer in the same week. What I want to know is can I use all of those in one day and if not how long should I wait? And what wormer contains piperazine.
Thanks

Officially Retired
12-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Following your worming chart, in December you use ivomec,piperazine,panacur and droncit. I've never used more than one wormer in the same week. What I want to know is can I use all of those in one day and if not how long should I wait? And what wormer contains piperazine.
Thanks

Yes, you can use them all on the same day (though Panacur needs to be given 2x/day for 3 days in a row), and you can get concentrated piperazine in the product Wazine 34 (http://www.jefferslivestock.com/wazine-34/camid/liv/cp/A2-P9/), which is a double-dose piperazine product, so do NOT overdose this one as it can give neurological problems.

Jack

PS: I am working on a massive "worming" article for my blog which should be ready in a day or so.

HOMEWORK215
01-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks

Yes, you can use them all on the same day (though Panacur needs to be given 2x/day for 3 days in a row), and you can get concentrated piperazine in the product Wazine 34 (http://www.jefferslivestock.com/wazine-34/camid/liv/cp/A2-P9/), which is a double-dose piperazine product, so do NOT overdose this one as it can give neurological problems.

Jack

PS: I am working on a massive "worming" article for my blog which should be ready in a day or so. when is the best time to worm a hound or is any time the best

Dre21
01-11-2012, 07:42 AM
With the wazine, what amount do you give? I looked at it and it's not labled for dogs. Do you have a weight to dosage amount chart for this? Thanks, Dre!

Officially Retired
01-12-2012, 04:08 AM
With the wazine, what amount do you give? I looked at it and it's not labled for dogs. Do you have a weight to dosage amount chart for this? Thanks, Dre!

Just look for the dosing of piperazine 17%, and (since Wazine is twice as potent at 34%) you therefore only give HALF as much ...

southend
01-14-2012, 04:00 AM
i live in ireland and piperzine was takin off the market 2 years ago , it was being marketed as a puppy wormer and people would,nt use it in there grown dogs , its weird what people can be covinced of , any way there was a few pups over dosed so now its gone

Officially Retired
01-14-2012, 05:02 AM
i live in ireland and piperzine was takin off the market 2 years ago , it was being marketed as a puppy wormer and people would,nt use it in there grown dogs , its weird what people can be covinced of , any way there was a few pups over dosed so now its gone

Yes, I overdosed Silverback on it once, many years ago, and it can be a scary thing to watch (complete loss of motor control in the animal, almost a neurological thunderstorm) ... so a person must NEVER overdose piperazine like they can with pyrantel.

gambull
01-16-2012, 06:11 AM
what is the correct dosage for panacur 10% (100mg/1ml) for dogs??

thanks

bigpopdog
01-16-2012, 01:45 PM
what is the correct dosage for panacur 10% (100mg/1ml) for dogs??

thanks

As for dosage, once again it's 1ml of the 10% solution, per 4.4lb of bodyweight, given 3 days in a row.

But actually, the dosage is BID now (twice daily) because of how weak Safeguard is as a wormer. What people need to understand is, Safeguard (fenbendazole) is actually intended for ruminants (cows and other cud-chewing herbivores), because the incredibly-long digestive tracts of these cud-chewing animals allows this WEAK DRUG to stay in their system longer. Whereas, with dogs (who have very short digestive tracts that process food much more rapidly by comparison), the weak fenbendazole medicine is in-and-out of them too with just one dose to do anything.

This is why you have to give so much Safeguard (so often, and so many days in a row) to a dog ... because it is a VERY WEAK DRUG ... and giving a huge dose to you dogs, now twice daily, and repeating it every 12 hours, for 3 days in a row, is the only way to keep this weak medicine in your dogs long enough to alow it to kill the worms.

Other drugs, like pyrantel, are much stronger drugs, that you can give in much smaller dosages, just once, and it will do the job.

The only real value Safeguard has is that it gets whipworms, but there are other drugs that get them too. Safeguard, when used correctly, is one of the most expensive, and THE most wasteful, time-consuming wormer you can possibly use.

For this reason, I personally almost never use it, because there are stronger, less-expensive, less time-consuming choices out there.

Jack

gambull
01-17-2012, 05:17 AM
thanks bigpopdog!

southend
01-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Thanks

Jack

PS: I am working on a massive "worming" article for my blog which should be ready in a day or so.
excuse my ignorance how do i find your blog jack