PDA

View Full Version : Which medical supply should be kept cool?

R2L
12-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Half of the people i know keep their anti biotic and infusion bags in the fridge, the other half just keeps them at room temperature.

Any facts on whats best?

skipper
12-05-2012, 03:40 AM
Open bottles should be kept in a fridge or something similar.

R2L
12-05-2012, 04:35 AM
Does the same count for anti inflammatory metacam/dexa ect?

I assume you let them come back to room temperature before injecting them again?

skipper
12-05-2012, 05:43 AM
I put all open bottles in the fridge. all kind of meds. You don't need to take out the bottle and make it room tempered. Just extract what you need, and if you feel like you want the meds to be room tempered just warm it with your hands. I honestly don't think there is a difference.

bgblok68
12-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Anything thats kept in the fridge I draw up and let the syringe warm up. Just making it clear. I've heard some say they sit whatever out and let it warm up then put it back in the fridge. Some things that are warmed up and cooled off a few times will break down.

R2L
12-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys.

I've got a 250ml opened bottle of amoxicilline which was kept at room temperature for a few weeks. Should i throw it away????? Quiet allot.....

How about the infusion bags?

CRISIS
12-05-2012, 10:27 AM
liquid mox? i would toss it........when i worked at the feed store we kept it refridged and it was delivered on ice just like the 7 way. if it was warmed up we had to toss it!

R2L
12-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Yea, i know someone who keeps an open bottle at 20 degrees a whole year long and still uses it. I will pursue some new then.

skipper
12-06-2012, 08:52 AM
what happens is that the meds get less effective over time. for them to actually hurt the dog takes longer.

FrostyPaws
12-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Don't keep your IV bags in the refrigerator. There's no point in doing so. Dex, baytril, and a lot of other medications can be kept at room temperature.

Some meds lose their effectiveness, some retain the same strength, while some increase in strength. Expiration dates generally don't mean a whole lot in regards to medications. Most medications are still at effective strengths years after their supposed "expiration" date. If your medication is supposed to be refrigerated, then keep it that way. Follow the instructions on the medications you have, and you'll be ok.

R2L
12-06-2012, 11:23 AM
I made a mistake in my opening post. It's about opened bottles.

Thanks, ill keep the IV bags out.

Officially Retired
12-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Don't keep your IV bags in the refrigerator. There's no point in doing so. Dex, baytril, and a lot of other medications can be kept at room temperature.

Some meds lose their effectiveness, some retain the same strength, while some increase in strength. Expiration dates generally don't mean a whole lot in regards to medications. Most medications are still at effective strengths years after their supposed "expiration" date. If your medication is supposed to be refrigerated, then keep it that way. Follow the instructions on the medications you have, and you'll be ok.

The answer is, there is no "one" answer to the original question.

As stated above, many meds are okay at normal room temperatures ... but many need to be refrigerated.

In the end, the label will tell you what to do :idea:

Jack