PDA

View Full Version : Kennel Substrate/Sand

CRISIS
12-09-2012, 07:21 PM
if i dont go with the above ground kennels, then im thinking of using box/play sand..........woodchips would stink and be a bitch to shovel shit. pea gravels is basically rock and may get stuck in pads, hot, & a bitch to clean. cement pads with drainage was the ideal set up, then i looked into it and the cost is now out of the question lol.

now...i know sand is also rock, and i know rock burns in the summer. but how many of you folks in FLA, AZ, Vegas, ect use sand with no problems?? i know you folks in florida that use chains spots have sand! lol so in reality vs theory...how do they do?? are your dogs pads burnt to hell to to the sand and heat? because i know if you guys are ok out there then my dogs would be fine out here. our hot day in Nor Cal is average 103 farenheit. and i know that pheonix az, vegas,tx, & fla get hot as hell!

so how bout it?

and please if you have any suggestions feel free to share..........the area size is going to be about 100x40 ft rectangle.

pig mad
12-09-2012, 11:02 PM
i have sand in my chook house stinks looks clean but stinks when it gets wet

CRISIS
12-09-2012, 11:50 PM
yeah i thought about that..........it would be hard to get rid of the piss smell.

R2L
12-10-2012, 12:13 AM
http://www.bestratingsgigant.nl/images/product-module/58-0-betontegels%2050x50.jpg

often they are even offered for free if you collect them with someone who wants to get rid of his old ones.

EWO
12-11-2012, 02:18 AM
I use screenings/rock dust.pond screenings...different names. It is cheap to buy and usually cost more to haul it than what it costs. It packs down nicely and after a hard summer most the water runs off. It is easy to rake and keep clean. EWO

CRISIS
12-11-2012, 08:44 AM
im almost wondering if it would be best to keep the gunnite thats left down......