PDA

View Full Version : swelling muscle after IM anti biotic injection

R2L
12-18-2012, 05:33 AM
http://s10.postimage.org/aokw0ms4p/Naamloos.jpg

I saw this on two of my dogs this morning after giving them a shot of amoxicilline (vetrimox LA) yesterday evening.

Its pretty hard.

What could be wrong or what could i have done wrong? I never noticed this before. They got the same shot 48 hours ago.

Air in the syringe, hit the wrong spot, anti biotics to cold? Its on both dogs so thats strange.

skipper
12-18-2012, 05:54 AM
Im no vet but that looks like a small allergic reaction were the injection took place. Did you massage the muscle after injecting?

evolutionkennels
12-18-2012, 06:02 AM
I had that happen before. It's extremely painful, don't put pressure on it. You may have injected into a tendon or ligament. It will go away on It's own. In my opinion, antibiotics are better oral, clavamox the best all around.

R2L
12-18-2012, 06:04 AM
Yes i did. Its strange because i didnt notice anything 2 days ago.

On my other dog its pretty big too.

Maybe because i put it straight in instead of from the back. But i did it before without problems.

R2L
12-18-2012, 06:05 AM
I had that happen before. It's extremely painful, don't put pressure on it. You may have injected into a tendon or ligament. It will go away on It's own. In my opinion, antibiotics are better oral, clavamox the best all around.

True that, i should get my hand on some tablets too or give em under the skin.

FrostyPaws
12-18-2012, 08:05 AM
You shouldn't give any IM injection into the actual stifle or a front shoulder.

Find the muscle above the hip pointers on the dog's backend. That muscle there is perfect for IM injections.

R2L
12-18-2012, 09:13 AM
You shouldn't give any IM injection into the actual stifle or a front shoulder.

Find the muscle above the hip pointers on the dog's backend. That muscle there is perfect for IM injections.

thats were i injected now right?

edit: the friend who gave me this says its normal with amoxillin on oil base.