PDA

View Full Version : Mills

Jon P. Lebron
12-23-2012, 07:02 PM
I currently walk my dog for 6 miles, the next day I give him sprint work with a flirt pole, next day I run with him for 15 minutes and the next day sprints again with the flirt pole. It's getting cold and is raining a lot, I'm getting a Carpetmill (not a hard pulling one but smooth turning one, I will be using this mill for his sprinting sessions. Now I'm not sure if to getting an E-mill or Slatmill for when I can't take him on his walks or running session. Which one would ya recomend for this?

OGDOGG
12-23-2012, 08:30 PM
If you're just using it for walks, get the e-mill. That way you can control the pace of his walks.
I don't understand why you would need an E-mill or slat for walking a dog when you're gonna get a carpet mill? A carpet mill is used to build strength like walking a dog. A slat mill is used to put wind in your dog.

Jon P. Lebron
12-24-2012, 04:52 AM
I will still be taking my dig out fir walks, runs and sprint work, I will be using the mills mainly for when I can't take them out because of the weather. I will use the carpetmill for his sprinting sessions, I will use the other mill (e-mill or slatmill) for his walks but also for his running sessions and thats why I dont know which one to get for this. I have read that a carpetmill should not be used for long periods of time, this is why I will use it for his sprinting. And as you said a slatmill is for developing wind which from what I see and read is the one thats good for long running sessions, yet as you also said the e-mill is good for controling the dog's pace. So this is why im undecided on whether a e-mill or a slatmill for his running session.

Jon

OGDOGG
12-24-2012, 10:27 AM
With an emill you could walk your dog on it for long periods of time at a control pace. Or you could turn down the speed and have him simulate weight pulling. If you could do this with an emill, you don't need a carpet mill or go out and walk your dog( it'll save a lot of time and money), and easier on the dog's pads.
I wouldn't use the emill to put wind into my dogs though. Instead I'll use a slat mill. When a dog is trotting or running on an emill, all he is doing is trying to keep up with the turning belt, working mostly his arms and legs. When he's on the slat, he has to pull forward thus working his whole body.
With the working schedule you posted on top, I personally wouldn't plan it like that. The dog needs to be work into the keep..slowly at first and peaking at the end. That way he won't get hurt, and be strong at the end of his keep.

FrostyPaws
12-24-2012, 02:46 PM
The notion that you can't use a carpetmill for a long period of time is pure silliness. Disregard anything you've ever heard in regards to that subject. I've seen dogs work a carpetmill for over an hour at a time, and the dogs never suffered any injuries due to the activity.

Jon P. Lebron
12-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Where this mills hard pulling or smooth turning? I've seen some carpetmills that are smooth turning not as free spining as a slatmill but smooth enough that they are not at an angle, they are completely flat just like a slatmill. This is the type of carpetmill im getting.

Jon P. Lebron
12-24-2012, 05:44 PM
With an emill you could walk your dog on it for long periods of time at a control pace. Or you could turn down the speed and have him simulate weight pulling. If you could do this with an emill, you don't need a carpet mill or go out and walk your dog( it'll save a lot of time and money), and easier on the dog's pads.
I wouldn't use the emill to put wind into my dogs though. Instead I'll use a slat mill. When a dog is trotting or running on an emill, all he is doing is trying to keep up with the turning belt, working mostly his arms and legs. When he's on the slat, he has to pull forward thus working his whole body.
With the working schedule you posted on top, I personally wouldn't plan it like that. The dog needs to be work into the keep..slowly at first and peaking at the end. That way he won't get hurt, and be strong at the end of his keep.

Yeah I progressed him to this point, I started with just the walks and running sessions, latter I added a sprinting session and a bit latter I added another sprinting session and now I'm at this point. I just need the mills because we are starting to get.bad weather. I prefer to work my dog with outside walks, runs and flirt pole work because that way he get out, I try to wprk him at different places and also I can get a better connection with my dog.

EWO
12-25-2012, 05:39 AM
A carpet mill can build strength as well as wind. It depends on how it is used. What it can also build is muscular endurance. A critical part of being stronger for longer. The issue with carpet mills from the past is that they were basically a piece of carpet draped over two pieces of pipe. It took an incredible amount of work for the dog to make it move. Couple this with someone who did not know what they were doing and they ended up with a muscled up freak. It takes more oxygen-more blood for bigger muscles so the dog could not 'breathe'. So the carpet mill was dubbed for strength only. Fast forward in time. The carpet mills get end rollers vs. stationary pipe. The sliding surface is some sort of plastic/polymer vs. sanded plywood. The carpet is a lighter yet stronger blend vs. the 1970's shag carpet with jute backing. If I had to choose between the three mills mentioned I would choose the carpet mill every time. EWO

If you're just using it for walks, get the e-mill. That way you can control the pace of his walks.
I don't understand why you would need an E-mill or slat for walking a dog when you're gonna get a carpet mill? A carpet mill is used to build strength like walking a dog. A slat mill is used to put wind in your dog.

FrostyPaws
12-25-2012, 08:49 AM
Where this mills hard pulling or smooth turning? I've seen some carpetmills that are smooth turning not as free spining as a slatmill but smooth enough that they are not at an angle, they are completely flat just like a slatmill. This is the type of carpetmill im getting.

The thing with a carpetmill is that it be smooth spinning (as much as a carpetmill can be smooth spinning), or it can be hard turning. If I spray down the polymer board the carpet flows over, then it will run a lot smoother as opposed to me not spraying it. If I don't spray it, it is hard turning mill. Either way, it doesn't matter. I've done both ways for over an hour with separate dogs without any issues.

Always remember that so much of what you hear is being uttered by people that have never put forth the effort to try and disprove things that have always been passed down as gospel. That's one of the things I like about dogs and conditioning devices. I have the ability, as do we all, to disprove things.

Bert Sorrells keep revolved around using a carpetmill. He didn't use a slat or a jenny. He used a carpetmill, and this was back in the 70s and 80s. The same could be said for Mad & Skip, who were proteges of Bert.

OGDOGG
12-25-2012, 08:53 AM
If I had to choose one mill, I'd go with the dog trotter
http://i.imgur.com/ktUUU.jpg
Talking about fast, my dogs could run up to 59.8 miles per hour on it with a slight slant(killer spinner mode) Or keep it flat and have the dog run @ trotting mode. Raise the slat all the way up, turn the brakes on slightly and the dog will climb a hill. Turn him the opposite way and he's running down hill.
Adjust the adjustable shocks/springs to how heavy the dog is and the mill/dog will look like they're working in harmony.

Jon P. Lebron
12-25-2012, 09:21 AM
The thing with a carpetmill is that it be smooth spinning (as much as a carpetmill can be smooth spinning), or it can be hard turning. If I spray down the polymer board the carpet flows over, then it will run a lot smoother as opposed to me not spraying it. If I don't spray it, it is hard turning mill. Either way, it doesn't matter. I've done both ways for over an hour with separate dogs without any issues.

Always remember that so much of what you hear is being uttered by people that have never put forth the effort to try and disprove things that have always been passed down as gospel. That's one of the things I like about dogs and conditioning devices. I have the ability, as do we all, to disprove things.

Bert Sorrells keep revolved around using a carpetmill. He didn't use a slat or a jenny. He used a carpetmill, and this was back in the 70s and 80s. The same could be said for Mad & Skip, who were proteges of Bert.

Is this the type of carpetmill your taking about, this one looks like it's a smooth turning one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkd6-5qKtZ4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Jon P. Lebron
12-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Talking about fast, my dogs could run up to 59.8 miles per hour on it with a slight slant(killer spinner mode) Or keep it flat and have the dog run @ trotting mode. Raise the slat all the way up, turn the brakes on slightly and the dog will climb a hill. Turn him the opposite way and he's running down hill.
Adjust the adjustable shocks/springs to how heavy the dog is and the mill/dog will look like they're working in harmony.

This mills look like they are great and you can do many different type of exercise regiments, they even have one that can be used as an emill. The only thing is that they cost to much especially the ones with all the features.

FrostyPaws
12-25-2012, 12:16 PM
That's not like the one I'm talking about, but that goes to show the different type of mills out there. No dog can run my carpetmill like that hahahahahaha! It simply won't turn that fast even with it being sprayed down.

pig mad
12-25-2012, 01:16 PM

Thats a great mill id kill to own 1 dont get me wrong but i think your speedo is out

OGDOGG
12-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Thats a great mill id kill to own 1 dont get me wrong but i think your speedo is out
Nothing in life is worth killing over, Especially these dogs. But if you were talking about killing feral cats, hell yeah I would too.:lol:
But yeah I thought the speedo was off too when it couldn't go any higher than 59.8. I think that's the max it'll go. It came with the DT. It shows the odometer, time, calories burn, average speed, distance and cycle of the belt. Its a pretty cool piece of device.

skootermc
12-25-2012, 04:49 PM
WHAT R U SPRAYING CARPETMILL WITH?

Albino Rhino
12-25-2012, 05:17 PM
WHAT R U SPRAYING CARPETMILL WITH?

Silicone spray

pig mad
12-25-2012, 05:31 PM
I get $10 a cat gonna have to kill alot of cats hahaha. I clock most dogs around mid 40km/hr on the salt flat not shore if that would even be 30mile/hr that thing way off

EWO
12-26-2012, 04:47 AM
That is a nice mill. Simple yet effective. Very nice. EWO

That's not like the one I'm talking about, but that goes to show the different type of mills out there. No dog can run my carpetmill like that hahahahahaha! It simply won't turn that fast even with it being sprayed down.

Kimo615
12-31-2012, 01:12 AM
Anyone heard of a company called grand carpet mills? I've seen YouTube videos on them and they look OK I guess. Just wondering if anyone owns one or has thoughts on them as I'm considering buying a mill on a budget. Thanks.

OGDOGG
12-31-2012, 04:19 AM
I get $10 a cat gonna have to kill alot of cats hahaha. I clock most dogs around mid 40km/hr on the salt flat not shore if that would even be 30mile/hr that thing way off
You're gonna need to kill at least 250 cats:idea:. The one I have is for 36"x12" or smaller dogs.
I don't think the speedometer is off. It has a sensor reading how many cycle the front aluminum rim spun.
You could also buy this mill for half the price without all the bells and whistles.

pig mad
12-31-2012, 07:18 AM
Has to be off og dogs dont run 100km/hr not even greyhounds run that quick and after seeing how small your little guys theyd have smoke coming off their feet at that speed. I had same speedo on my push bike as a young fella pretty easy to knock it out of calibration. Go run your fastest dog behind a car or something see how fast it runs.

scary
12-31-2012, 08:43 AM
here is a earlier conversation we had about some of the best slat mills. i know it is a little off subject but at least it will give some people some ideals about all the different ones that are out there. for the ones who don't know. http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/showthread.php?361-The-best-slat-mills&highlight=slat+mills

OGDOGG
01-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Has to be off og dogs dont run 100km/hr not even greyhounds run that quick and after seeing how small your little guys theyd have smoke coming off their feet at that speed. I had same speedo on my push bike as a young fella pretty easy to knock it out of calibration. Go run your fastest dog behind a car or something see how fast it runs.
No it's right. The two that run that speed are mother/daughter, with high prey drive, who are the strongest and fastest on my yard. I actually think its off by reaching its limit. You have to remember that what you are going by is a Grey Hound running 42 miles an hour on the GROUND. We are talking about running on a slat mill(with bearings) every time it turns, it doesn't stop, but keep spinning. Compare running on the ground and on a slat is like comparing apples and oranges. Do you understand where I'm getting at? And yes they are blowing smoke out their ass..I'd have to cautiously slow them down by slightly turn on the brake or they'll fall off.