PDA

View Full Version : Whole raw diet

Speedracer
01-04-2013, 06:10 AM
I have snakes so I order all my rodents in large quantaties. The place I get them from sells rabbits, quails and chickens. I think this might be a good place to get whole raw items for the dogs. My only concern is I know some rodent breeders feed a crap food, which in turn may produce crap food for my dogs. I think I'll ask what they feed there feeders. Thoughts and ideas about this welcome

R2L
01-04-2013, 06:23 AM
i use to cut out the stumics of whole rabbits for this reason. dirty job :D

Speedracer
01-04-2013, 07:11 AM
Well my main thought was that if say a rabbit was fed a lower quality food, then that may make the rabbit as a whole lower quality food for my dog. Kinda like kibble vs raw

R2L
01-04-2013, 07:29 AM
wild is always better, those are mass bred rabbits. you can give them no problem but i wouldnt feed them daily. the content of their stumics contain the most shit. they will also make sure their bellys are full cause more weight is more money.

Officially Retired
01-04-2013, 03:10 PM
wild is always better, those are mass bred rabbits. you can give them no problem but i wouldnt feed them daily. the content of their stumics contain the most shit. they will also make sure their bellys are full cause more weight is more money.

Two truths need to be discussed here:

Wild is not always better, as wild rabbits are full of diseases (tularemia, tapeworm, ticks, etc.) :idea:

Rabbit is not a good mainstay for a dog anyway, as rabbit has almost ZERO fat content, and dogs need a lot of fat to sustain their bodily functions. You would actually starve your dog to death feeding rabbit exclusively :idea:

That said, quality animal breeders use good food items, treat for parasites, and offer a FAR better and more reliable staple for your dogs to eat than the random offerings of the wild. Especially in warm climates.

Jack

Speedracer
01-04-2013, 04:10 PM
I was thinking more for quail and chickens.

Officially Retired
01-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Chicken has lots of fat on it, and is an excellent whole animal choice.

In fact, almost every dogfood known to man has chicken fat in it for this reason.

CRISIS
01-05-2013, 05:44 PM
im thinking of farming animals for dogfood....what would be a good choice?? ive thought about chickens but i figure it takes a chicken 6 months or so to grow to be anything worth eating............any animal that grows faster...more consistantly???

CRISIS
01-05-2013, 05:44 PM
or what about rabbit if i supplement with fat??

Officially Retired
01-05-2013, 06:55 PM
You can go to any chicken house and get their dead chickens for free :idea:

AmberLamps
01-06-2013, 04:47 AM
or what about rabbit if i supplement with fat??

I'm going to do just that this coming summer. I can get chicken offcuts by the barrel, (fat/skin) so plan on raising rabbits and adding the offcuts as a fat source, in theory it should work great.

I just need to order one of these Rabbitwringer (http://www.therabbitwringer.com/)

tasoschatz
01-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Modern chikens, I mean human creations, mature in less than two monts of age, these animals grow so fast that can not even stand on their feet if they do not get slaughtered, they grow too fast for their bones to support the weight. Also the industry, here in Europe and I assume in USA also does not grow male chicks and they kill them right after birth, maybe you could find someone local and ask for those to grow yourself? just a thought.