PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Deer Meat

blake
01-09-2013, 08:12 AM
I have access to all the deer meat and deer bone I can handle. But dont have very much access to the organs etc. How could I add to the deer meat and deer bone to make a good raw diet. And when I mean deer meat I mean mostly raw deer burger

skipper
01-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Just buy organ meat from another source. Deer is a great source of protein.

R2L
01-09-2013, 08:45 AM
deer meet is great, 50 % fleshbone, 20 % meat, 15 % organmeat, 15% additional adds

scratchin dog
01-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Deer meat is extremely low in fat. You should not feed it by itself for any length of time. Rotate it into a raw diet that consists of chicken and or beef and make sure there is plenty of fat content.

SGC
01-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Deer meat is extremely low in fat. You should not feed it by itself for any length of time. Rotate it into a raw diet that consists of chicken and or beef and make sure there is plenty of fat content.

Very true! Venison is good meat but it is so lean that you would need to add fats more so than organ meats for a well balanced raw diet.

Chicken backs are mostly fat and bone so they can be added in. Just feed the deer meat in with other meats and fats. For organ meats, you can get chicken livers or beef liver to add. I also stepped up my worming program when I fed a lot of venison.

scratchin dog
01-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Very true! Venison is good meat but it is so lean that you would need to add fats more so than organ meats for a well balanced raw diet.

Chicken backs are mostly fat and bone so they can be added in. Just feed the deer meat in with other meats and fats. For organ meats, you can get chicken livers or beef liver to add. I also stepped up my worming program when I fed a lot of venison.

I feed a lot more chicken backs in the winter precisely because they are so full of fat. It's a great way to put the weight on outside dogs and also keep the weight on my house dogs.

blake
01-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Do you get chicken backs at a chicken house?

scratchin dog
01-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Do you get chicken backs at a chicken house?

I get them at the supermarket. They are relatively cheap. Not only do they have a lot of fat but they will also have some organs attached.

BSK
01-09-2013, 04:09 PM
I feed deer meat also.I get mine from hunters so I get all the straps & organs.I used to get it from a butcher shopped that prcessed deer when in season.I still have a trash bag full of organs from last yr in the freezer!