PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Weighted Collars

Pedhelper
01-11-2013, 01:32 AM
One of my mentors was a French man called Leprechaun. He had hinted to me once to use a weighted collar but for some reason I never did. I have a mate that is doing his first and he wants to use it.

So tell me your opinions on the pro's and con's of a weighted collar and when/where you would use it in a keep. How much weight per kilo of dog etc.

Much appreciated.

OGDOGG
01-11-2013, 11:43 AM
The only time I use chain or weighted collars are during flirt pole work and weight pulling. Don't leave on them when they're resting or running/trotting on the mill. I'll start with 1 pound chain and work up to 5 pounds. I don't think it matter how many pounds your dog is..1-5 pounds is good enough for any size.

widerange
01-13-2013, 07:46 AM
If your planing on using a weighted collar I suggest you look into a weighted harness or a vest that holds the weight to the side of the hound. A dogs neck is simply not a weight bearing muscle. Loading a dogs neck up with weight only puts it at risk of harming the hound. But using a vest/ harness outs the weight over the hounds legs which are made to support weight

OGDOGG
01-13-2013, 08:32 AM
You have to try to simulate what's going on in the box. After an hour half both dogs are tired. Their dog has its arms around your's neck, while chewing on its face. That's when having them weighted collars come into play. Your dog's neck is like a rock, he grab a mouth full of chest and shake the sh*t out of it, at this time the other dog lets go and look like a piece of rag. It's head and body hitting the wall....
The neck is the strongest and hardest part of a dog next to its jaws so I don't see why it could hurt one with weights. There's a reason most pits are sitting on the chain everyday.

Black Hand
01-13-2013, 03:38 PM
I cannot say I've seen to many people with a neck equal to a bulldogs and human athletes work their neck.

Black Hand
01-13-2013, 03:43 PM
You have to try to simulate what's going on in the box. After an hour half both dogs are tired. Their dog has its arms around your's neck, while chewing on its face. That's when having them weighted collars come into play. Your dog's neck is like a rock, he grab a mouth full of chest and shake the sh*t out of it, at this time the other dog lets go and look like a piece of rag. It's head and body hitting the wall....
The neck is the strongest and hardest part of a dog next to its jaws so I don't see why it could hurt one with weights. There's a reason most pits are sitting on the chain everyday.

I agree. if a dog can run full speed and hit the end of it's chain all day, that has to be 10 times more strenuous than a 5 pound weight. 40 pounds x full sprint x chain and collar bring you to dead stop.

CRISIS
01-13-2013, 07:27 PM
whiplash!

tasoschatz
01-14-2013, 01:10 AM
There are many ways of strength training, a) the muscle sortens and lengthens while applying force like in typical gym weights work out aka isotonic, b) the muscle stays at a certain length while applying force, no0t moving at all, known as isometric, c) plyometrics for eg when you jump a momentary high force is applied while muscles counteract. Also there are plenty of other methods irelevant to what has been mentioned in this topic.
A chained dog that runs and hit is not really under any of the above categories, maybe somewhat under c).
There are experienced dog people that use it, personally I can not see the science behind it, but I always like to learn something new.

R2L
01-14-2013, 05:56 AM
The only time I use chain or weighted collars are during flirt pole work and weight pulling. Don't leave on them when they're resting or running/trotting on the mill. I'll start with 1 pound chain and work up to 5 pounds. I don't think it matter how many pounds your dog is..1-5 pounds is good enough for any size.

Why is that? Chains are on their neck when they are resting too.

OGDOGG
01-14-2013, 10:31 AM
If you leave yours on the chain, then you're not giving him the best chance to be healthy or properly rested. A dog on a keep should be place in a quiet area by himself with no infestation, nothing on him(chains, weighted collars) so he could fully recover for the next days hard work. Usually what a dog on a keep does during the entire keep is work, eat, shit, and rest. Nothing more than that. The least you could do is give him his own private space. Now there are plenty of dogs that were on the chain during their keep and still won. But you can't deny the example I gave is better than to leave a dog a the chain.
Personally I think those who keep their dogs on the chain during a keep are rookies, or they don't give a f*ck if their dogs get infested with worms after they de-wormed them.

R2L
01-14-2013, 10:36 AM
I keep mine in kennels, and yes crated inside when in the keep. That's why i wonder how a weighted collar can be of use to me. If i cannot put it on when it's resting or the treadmill, that leaves just the walking part. Dont think it will do much in a week or 6.

DOGNMAN
01-15-2013, 03:24 AM
I would personally only use those collars while hand walking..not on slat mill work, flirt pole or spring pole work..especially on a lazy walking hound..and maybe on a e - mill it should help ?

TFX
02-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Working with a weighted collar will help a dog have a faster mouth. It never hurt Mayfield, and he was absolutely tops in his day as far as shaping one to win.

EWO
03-02-2013, 05:31 PM
I use them when doing long walks, or even when dragging some chain. I want the dog to learn to work while carrying a few extra pounds. The initial mouth will be faster and the shaking will be more forceful, more violent. It is a lot like putting a weight on the end of the bat and taking cuts while on deck. The bat speed increases.
The muscles in the neck stretch and contract. maybe not so much as lifting a weight, but the weight being there and the walking, carrying, looking back and forth, nose down, nose up. On a walk the neck is in constant motion. EWO

Barnstormer Bulldogs
03-03-2013, 10:01 AM
100% agree ^

YELLOWJOHN
05-06-2013, 01:19 PM
worthless to have

EWO
05-25-2013, 03:47 AM
Please explain. EWO

worthless to have