PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition After A Light Workout

MEAUXTIVATION
01-16-2013, 10:48 AM
I was wondering if nutrition (feed) would be a necessity after a light workout of working the springpole for 10 min and a 20 min walk. I wanted to know if by not feeding an hour after such a light workout if it would have a negative effect on recovery. I feed late afternoon/night time and usually try to exercise my lil gyp earlier in the day when I have more time available. Me personally, I drink a protein shake within 30 min after my workout at the gym and wanted to know if it was similar for animals. Just wanted to know your opinions.

Thanks in advance,

MEAUXTIVATION

R2L
01-16-2013, 11:44 AM
you dont need to feed your dog within an hour after such workout.

if you were in a serious keep, yes then i would always

OGDOGG
01-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Me personally, I drink a protein shake within 30 min after my workout at the gym and wanted to know if it was similar for animals. Just wanted to know your opinions.

Thanks in advance,

MEAUXTIVATION

Put yourself in his shoe. Bite the hide on the spring pole for 10 minutes then walk for 20 minutes. And you don't have to wait an hour to feed. Just wait til your dog stop sticking his tongue out. Feed as soon as he recover from running hot.

MEAUXTIVATION
01-19-2013, 02:56 PM
OGDOGG,

That sounds about right, thanks for the info.

scratchin dog
01-19-2013, 05:06 PM
You could always just give your dog a liquid protein shake after a light workout and feed the full meal later as usual.

MEAUXTIVATION
01-20-2013, 06:06 AM
Scratchin Dog,

I'm curious, what would a liquid protein shake consist of?

Steeldog
01-20-2013, 07:03 AM
Some good examples for sports shakes for working dogs are CNI RF1, Vertex, Peak Performance

Scratchin Dog,

I'm curious, what would a liquid protein shake consist of?

Officially Retired
01-20-2013, 07:46 AM
I was wondering if nutrition (feed) would be a necessity after a light workout of working the springpole for 10 min and a 20 min walk. I wanted to know if by not feeding an hour after such a light workout if it would have a negative effect on recovery. I feed late afternoon/night time and usually try to exercise my lil gyp earlier in the day when I have more time available. Me personally, I drink a protein shake within 30 min after my workout at the gym and wanted to know if it was similar for animals. Just wanted to know your opinions.
Thanks in advance,
MEAUXTIVATION

Depends on what you're trying to do.

If your dog is fat, and you're trying to cut back his weight, then feeding after the workout isn't good. Not feeding him for an hour afterward allows his body to convert his own fat stores into needed energy replacement.

The harder the workout, the more muscle is being torn down, and the more you need to provide for the dog after the workout. If it's just an easy "fat-burning" workout, then he really doesn't have too much muscle breakdown, and so the need to give him a food/supplement source after his workout is not as great.

Jack