PDA

View Full Version : RAW food benefits...

EWO
02-01-2013, 10:35 AM
I feed mostly RAW. Maybe three to five days a month is kibble based on work schedule. There is no science here just an observation. The last few dogs we have raised on raw has had considerable more mouth than their brothers and sisters. Like no matter which pup I had form the litter it seemed to bite harder. This may be a question for those more in the know but here is my thoughts. Ever seen a guy that turns wrenches for a living even if he is not muscled up his forearms and hand strength is quite strong. A guy that bales hay, loads it manually for a life time may be thin and wiry but cock diesel none the less. My uncle could roll under a 350 transmission, press it up off his chest and land it on the dial pins, keep it in place and get a bolt started. Put him on a weight bench and he would struggle with 135lbs. Odd but true. On the dog side, if a dog started really having to chew and work his food, like backs and necks, and quarters and shanks, over a life time would those muscles be better equipped than the dog who eats kibble where the amount of chewing is miniscule in comparison. We split a lot of our litters amongst ourselves and for last little while it seems my dogs are having more mouth than their litter mates. And a lot of times I let everyone else pick first and I end up with what is left.
I have always believed mouth can't be created but this at least has me thinking. EWO

No Quarter Kennel
02-02-2013, 02:23 PM
I believe it will help.
I think in comparison, in relation to potential, a dog on raw will reach more of his biting potential than a dog on kibble.

There are always those dogs that are just talented though and it doesn't matter what they eat, they can just bite

EWO
02-02-2013, 02:55 PM
It was just one of those things that could make one think. The fellows are like, "Why are your dogs biting like that and the litter mate is not?".. Then out of another litter it is the same. The dogs I have fed raw to seem to be bringing it with a little more ooommmppphhhh. Not every one, but the percentages are high enough to make me at least think about the connection. Maybe I shouldn't link it to raw food in general but the staple of the raw diet is chicken backs, chicken quarters and beef shank meat/bone. It is a job to get it chewed up. It is a daily workout for the jaw muscle and the actual biting process on a regular basis. I do not think there is any scientific way to prove or disprove this thought, but the percentages are there, across different breedings, different litters and different owners. The 'fellows' are on dry food. The only difference between my dogs and theirs is the diet. EWO

R2L
02-02-2013, 03:21 PM
I believe biting power is genetic, i thought everybody agreed on that...

If feeding bones and raw food would improve a dogs bite power/force, then springpole, stuff like kongs would work too. I never heard any experienced folks saying so

EWO
02-02-2013, 04:06 PM
I also believe that some dogs just bite and some dogs do not. It was just some off the wall conversations we were having. The only difference would really be eating is a daily occurrence vs. other forms of bite work are more than likely not a daily event. EWO

Officially Retired
02-03-2013, 12:15 PM
I believe biting power is genetic, i thought everybody agreed on that...
If feeding bones and raw food would improve a dogs bite power/force, then springpole, stuff like kongs would work too. I never heard any experienced folks saying so

Biting power is genetic, but learning how to use the mouth on meat/bone is gained through experience.

Biting kibble confers no benefit; chewing bones, tearing flesh, etc. (especially on live game) offers some.

Veteran Norman Hooten was convinced that part of Indian Bolio's talent was gained on his 10,000-acre ranch, where Bolio grew-up dispatching live game that Hooten caught in his traps :idea: Certainly, all other things being equal, any dog that grows up killing game out in the open is going to gain some "street smarts" that a dog eating kibble won't have.

Also, chewing knucklebones is a jaw workout, whereas hoovering-up kibble is not.

Jack

EWO
02-03-2013, 02:48 PM
I should have worded it a little better, maybe not attributing mouth to RAW feeding, but more so improved mouth due to chewing vs. swallowing kibble. EWO