PDA

View Full Version : Protein/Fat/Moisture ration in kibble

hogdog
02-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Jack,
I am a believer in the raw diet and agree that it is superior to kibble but sometimes I just dont have the time. I feed kibble once or twice a week. What protein/fat ratio is ideal and what percentage of protein is "too much" when choosing a brand of "grain-free" kibble.
Thanks in advance

hogdog
02-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Anybody?

Limey Kennels
02-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Depending where you from and if the dog (s) are actif one ore not upto 27% protien 17% fat mix your(quality) kibbel with 100 upto 125% of the same volume hot not boiled water leave it for 45 min to soak in.

tasoschatz
02-08-2013, 12:27 AM
I do not really get all this high protein on kibble debate. A kible has something like 10% moisture aka water and the highest out there lets say 40% protein. Flesh has about 60% water and the lowest protein flesh out there is probably from fish at 20% and highest water content. If I do the maths and want to bring protein content down at half, like 20%, all I have to do is add water at the same weight as the kibble itself. I will end up with a product of 20% protein at total weight and 55% water content. These are the moderate calculations with the highest protein dense kibble compared to fish, somewhat low protein and high in water.
so, what is all the frenzy with high kibble diet?

Officially Retired
02-08-2013, 03:05 AM
Jack,
I am a believer in the raw diet and agree that it is superior to kibble but sometimes I just dont have the time. I feed kibble once or twice a week. What protein/fat ratio is ideal and what percentage of protein is "too much" when choosing a brand of "grain-free" kibble.
Thanks in advance

If you don't have the time, then why don't you just just buy an already-prepared raw diet?

Why default to kibble at all? There is no such thing as an "ideal" kibble.

The insanity is trying to pretend that there is :idea:

Jack

R2L
02-08-2013, 03:58 AM
Soaking is not an option here, unless the dogs wouldnt hear their food. :lol:

hogdog
02-08-2013, 03:04 PM
If you don't have the time, then why don't you just just buy an already-prepared raw diet?

Why default to kibble at all? There is no such thing as an "ideal" kibble.

The insanity is trying to pretend that there is :idea:

Jack

Ok Jack here's exactly what I feed: Monday: Pitbull Bible Premium Raw diet with Green Tripe
Tuesday: Nature's Variety Patties
Wednesday: Whole frozen Sardines
Thursday: Taste of the Wild kibble
and then I repeat this cycle
I do feed the "already-prepared" raw diet but man is that expensive. Actually, I recently switched from Nature's Varoety to the Bravo beef blend patties since all the beef they use is grass-fed. The health/nutritional benefits of grass-fed beef to the average corn-fed, factory raised junk is significant

hogdog
02-08-2013, 03:05 PM
I like feeding this way so they get a variety of different meats: fish, chicken, beef, venison and bison (TOTW High Prairie)