PDA

View Full Version : Diatomaceous Earth

SICKBOY
12-31-2011, 04:41 AM
Ive been reading up on this and wonder what the people of this board think about it.

heritage
12-31-2011, 02:35 PM
I've been using it daily for a couple months now, and I've stopped using all other wormers except ivomec which I still use monthly. Now, I'm putting faith in the testimonials of the sled dog ppl I've read online. It's supposed to get rid of all worms except heartworm so that you can put a much lower level of synthetic chemicals into your dog. I'm very interested to know if Jack has instituted this practice.

Officially Retired
12-31-2011, 04:15 PM
I've been using it daily for a couple months now, and I've stopped using all other wormers except ivomec which I still use monthly. Now, I'm putting faith in the testimonials of the sled dog ppl I've read online. It's supposed to get rid of all worms except heartworm so that you can put a much lower level of synthetic chemicals into your dog. I'm very interested to know if Jack has instituted this practice.

No, this is one practice that I have not implemented.

I am not downplaying it, but I just don't worry all that much about using wormers (chemicals) in my dogs ... and ivermectin is harsher on dogs than most of the other wormers anyway.

To me, it is just easier to worm by conventional methods, but I respect the fact other people try new/different methods.

Jack

REDRUM
12-31-2011, 05:25 PM
I've been using D-Earth for months now as well. One of the main reasons I've decided to use D-Earth was the fact that internal parasites can not build up tollerance to it as they do when using conventional wormers. It is cheap, easy to find and effective.

bluebeard
01-19-2012, 08:40 AM
i have been asked this question, so i have been reading up on it myself.

scary
01-19-2012, 09:29 AM
i have been asked this question, so i have been reading up on it myself.
Please do tell when you figure out thanks

Steeldog
01-20-2012, 04:24 AM
Besides for deworming do you guys see any other positives results it had done for your hound?

heritage
01-20-2012, 10:38 AM
When I feed kibble, I like to soak it in water and add the DE. I also like to add either buttermilk, or a dry powder which contains enzymes and bacteria. I was wondering if the DE would kill the good bacteria I'm adding or hinder the enzymes at all.

Furious_Ford
01-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Besides for deworming do you guys see any other positives results it had done for your hound?

We found out it will stop Giardia in pups very quickly...I've been feeding D-earth for about 5 or more years now, & I highly recomemd it as it works for me, & my dogs!
I'm curious to find out what it will do for Parvo...guess I'll find out when that time comes!

I usually sprinkle it over their feed at least 3 days a week...you can feed it daily if you want from my understanding, but I choose not too!
Here is a nice old write up on it!
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

Furious_Ford
01-01-2013, 05:48 PM
BTW...I purchase it at my local feed store by a 50lb bag that goes a VERY long way, & is a great deal for being under $30!!!

FrostyPaws
01-01-2013, 06:53 PM
I can say this much. At one time in 2012, I fed DE over the course of 6 weeks to my entire yard of dogs. I believe at that time there were 25-30. There were 2 particular dogs that I knew were wormy, so I thought this would be the perfect chance to see if it actually works. After giving a big tbsp of DE everyday in their food, at the end of those 6 weeks, those two particular dogs still had worms. At that point, I quit using the DE. As far as I was concerned, all the DE worming testimonials I read all went out the window.

That was my experience with DE. I'm sure it has some other benefits, but ridding the dog of worms isn't one of them IMO.

scary
01-01-2013, 08:09 PM
this is a thread on it a little while ago http://www.thepitbullbible.com/forum/showthread.php?531

Officially Retired
01-04-2013, 02:21 AM
Yes, there are a lot of claims about DE that are patently false. It is not a "cure all" by any stretch, and its effect on worms is virtually nil.

What it does do is, when DRY, it can kill mites/fleas, etc. ... but (again) its entire effectiveness as a parasiticide lies in it being DRY ... which is kinda negated when ingested and moistened :lol:

Studies have shown the mineral element in DE *is* beneficial to health and growth, with marked weight gains in livestock, but its effectiveness as a wormer is dubious at best. Actually, there has been an ongoing 12-year study on DE as an internal dewormer, that should have ended in fall of 2012, so the results of this (the largest) test ever done on DE ought to put the truth/falsity of these claims to bed once and for all.

I don't have the time right now, but if anyone wants to click on the link above, find the study, and post the results that would be great.

Jack

OGDOGG
01-04-2013, 12:16 PM
What it does do is, when DRY, it can kill mites/fleas, etc. ... but (again) its entire effectiveness as a parasiticide lies in it being DRY ... which is kinda negated when ingested and moistened

Jack
This is the best way to use DE. Stop ant trails and put on my dog's coat and bedding during the summer months.

Furious_Ford
01-05-2013, 03:05 AM
This is the best way to use DE. Stop ant trails and put on my dog's coat and bedding during the summer months.

I had a real bad flea situation about 4 years ago, it happened after I brought home a young pup that was on another yard, & it quickly spread to the other pups that we had him with that were the same age...something I won't ever do again!!!

Anyways me, & my wife powdered the pups daily with only D Earth for 2 wks on top of it being spread around in their dog run, & bedding before finally getting rid of the flea infestation...in that situation it didn't work as fast as I expected, but after all it did work!

I've never tried it on ants like you said yet though...I guess I never thought about that cuz we have another way we would get rid of them, but next time I have an ant issue I'll give it a try, & see how it works out.

OGDOGG
01-16-2013, 11:38 AM
I had a real bad flea situation about 4 years ago, it happened after I brought home a young pup that was on another yard, & it quickly spread to the other pups that we had him with that were the same age...something I won't ever do again!!!

Anyways me, & my wife powdered the pups daily with only D Earth for 2 wks on top of it being spread around in their dog run, & bedding before finally getting rid of the flea infestation...in that situation it didn't work as fast as I expected, but after all it did work!

I've never tried it on ants like you said yet though...I guess I never thought about that cuz we have another way we would get rid of them, but next time I have an ant issue I'll give it a try, & see how it works out.

Give it try. My girlfriend was skeptic at first until the ants disappeared. It took about an hour but it worked. Never saw them in the house again. On dry days, I also spread them around the house and in the yard(grass, tree stomps, and bushes) ever since I've been using DE, fly and insects population has gone down to minimum and my house was built on a swamp area.

rareblood
01-26-2017, 03:24 PM
Dogs

Internal parasites can be controlled by giving Diatomaceous Earth internally. It is very important to note that it must be food grade – the earth used in gardens and pool filters can damage your dog. Diatomaceous Earth can eliminate roundworms, whipworms, pinworms, and hookworms within seven days of being fed daily. To be most effective, Diatomaceous Earth should be fed for at least 30 days, to catch all newly hatching eggs or the cycling of the worms through the lungs and back to the stomach.
Your dog's size will affect the DE dosage size

Small Dogs and Puppies* ½ tsp of food grade DE
Dogs (<50 lbs) 1 tsp of food grade DE
Dogs (50-100 lbs) 1 tbsp of food grade DE
Dogs (>100 lbs) 2 tbsp of food grade DE

D-earth Prices

#3338 16oz $8.99

#3339 2lbs $10.00

#3340 5lbs $17.99

#3341 10lbs $19.99

#3342 25lbs $39.99

#3343 50lbs $54.99