PDA

View Full Version : What is da correct way to use a E-mill

mbik
02-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Whats da correct way to use a E-mill? Can they come in real strong?

Steeldog
02-18-2013, 06:20 PM
You can have the bulldog run a steady pace or do high interval training. Just like humans would do on a treadmill. You just have to keep a really close eye because they don't have hands to stop the machine and pause like we can. Watch very closely for any little hints. That they need to get off. Don't over do the work and keep it fun.

CRISIS
02-18-2013, 07:30 PM
thats why i never really liked the idea of hooking the dog up to anything and not having sides on the emill...............

Officially Retired
02-21-2013, 01:45 PM
A steady pace does not make a dog "real strong" ...

Only hardcore windsprints can modify strength a bit, but no emill is really for strength training at all. At best they can be used for windsprints.

A carpet mill would be better for strength training.

mbik
02-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Whats da longest they can be on the e-mill??

CRISIS
02-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Id take the handles off and not hook him to anything, let em run at his own pace.......the idea scares me a bit, but i zuppose if the dog wants to slow down he could just jump off & back on as it pleases

TFX
02-27-2013, 06:17 AM
Yet another post that is going to get limited response. Where does one begin with a post like this?:rolleyes:

There are so many fine points to canine conditioning, and here we have a person that just wants to know "how long they can leave a dog on a mill", as if everything is equal amongst all dogs, all e-mill speeds etc. It doesn't work that way friend! You need to build up some fundamental knowledge of canine conditioning, THEN use specific training devices to accomplish your intended objectives.

You can have a Top Fuel dragster that will go 330 mph, but if you don't know how to start it, tune it, or drive it, the car itself is pretty damned useless. Likewise with conditioning tools, if you don't know what you are trying to accomplish with the tool, how to use it, how to read a dog, etc., having an e-mill; or any other device, is utterly useless. Buy The Pit Bull Bible for starters, or if you have bought it please read it.

Officially Retired
03-01-2013, 03:52 AM
Yet another post that is going to get limited response. Where does one begin with a post like this?:rolleyes:
There are so many fine points to canine conditioning, and here we have a person that just wants to know "how long they can leave a dog on a mill", as if everything is equal amongst all dogs, all e-mill speeds etc. It doesn't work that way friend! You need to build up some fundamental knowledge of canine conditioning, THEN use specific training devices to accomplish your intended objectives.
You can have a Top Fuel dragster that will go 330 mph, but if you don't know how to start it, tune it, or drive it, the car itself is pretty damned useless. Likewise with conditioning tools, if you don't know what you are trying to accomplish with the tool, how to use it, how to read a dog, etc., having an e-mill; or any other device, is utterly useless. Buy The Pit Bull Bible for starters, or if you have bought it please read it.

:idea:

EWO
03-01-2013, 04:42 AM
Well said. I like the car/dragster analogy. Keeps must have starting points for each individual dog. Step #1 may say walk one hour. Dog A may walk that one hour on the first day and look at you like he is rippin' to actually do some work. Dog B may barely drag in at the hour mark. The dog has to be fit and trim at the starting point. The first three or four days needs to be assessments of where to start, i.e.,,,how much? how long? what speed? etc.etc.etc. Then it goes from there. The bible keep is a nice starting point. It is really effective. But like any other keep, your dog may be below the level conditioning to start the work on day 1, or he may be right there, or he may even be advanced based on lifestyle. Any time a keep is written down it is nothing more than a guide. The actual numbers, amounts, sets, times, durations have to be custom fit/tailored to each individual dog. EWO

mbik
03-02-2013, 03:49 PM
I've condition plenty of animals and pretty good at. All I was asking a simple question about da e-mill, I've had one in my keep since da started. I add mine in sometime instead of flirting or other things when it's raining. I've notice other people using them thru their whole keep. And I do have da Pit Bible. I staren t wit da carpet mill then da slat mill last da e-mill. But, some use it by itself.

EWO
03-02-2013, 05:18 PM
You may have asked a simple question but it does not have a simple answer. A simple answer would have been '10 minutes' or '30 minutes' or '60 minutes' with no explanation. No explanation would make the simple answer of no use to anyone. EWO

blak
03-03-2013, 11:07 PM
If this is your only option, then I guess it's okay. I've heard of an e-mill being used throughout a whole keep, with great success too, but didn't agree with the way it was used. You should at first adapt the mill for dog to use. Measure the sides along the moving surface and cut 2x4 the same length. Measure out pieces of ply wood the same length as the 2x4. Keep the plywood taller than the dog can see over, but not too tall. Next, (just to get a picture in your head) lay the 2x4 on the sides of the treadmill where you measured. Take a piece of plywood that you measured and cut and place it on the inside of the 2x4 next to the moving surface. Now you see how it will sit. Nail the 2x4 to the plywood in that "L" shape. Now lay those "L" shape pieces back down and screw them into the sides of the treadmill. Make sure they are tight and the sides don't wobble. Your going to Measure the distance between the two pieces of plywood and cut another piece of 2x4 about a half inch bigger than what you just measured. Place the newly cut piece of 2x4 at the top in between the two pieces of plywood slightly toward the front and nail or screw the ends of the 2x4 through the plywood to attach it in the middle. From here you can use whatever to attach the dog to the mill, however get creative, buy a wood hook and a small chain and a bullsnap, and your good to go. Hope I helped.

blak

TFX
03-05-2013, 07:47 PM

mbik
03-05-2013, 10:40 PM
The question I was asking is what the length of time and speed a animal can be on e-mill. Thanks for the info.

blak
03-06-2013, 12:09 AM
The question I was asking is what the length of time and speed a animal can be on e-mill. Thanks for the info.

That all depends on the animal, every single one is different. I seen some go all out on one, seen some that would only trot, seen another who would run it and it didn't have to be turned on. It all depends on the hound mbik. Just watch you hound close, and never leave em alone on one and you should be ok.

OGDOGG
03-06-2013, 09:28 PM

My question to you is:How bad do you want to win?
Winning consistently wasn't the result of a few minutes on the mill. If you want to win, work him hard and long..but pay attention and don't let him get hurt and give him the necessary rest he need.
If you have a killer dog that could finish in 30 minutes, work him twice as long. You could keep the mill at the minimum speed and this will simulate weight pulling. You will know if its working by feeling his neck and shoulders(it should be hard as a rock) like the female in this picture. She's working on strength training by pulling, she's working her neck muscle with the chain around her neck, and she's working her mouth with the kong ball in her mouth. The speed is at minimum so she's actually turning the belt mostly on her own. Only use this method 25% of the keep cause you don't want to bring your dog in with too much muscles. Also with a barnstormer, you'll need to run him all out-slow down..wait til he lick his mouth..all out again. Do this for up to an hour.
http://i.imgur.com/y7squOc.jpg
If you think your dog needs 2 hour to win, work him for 4 hours. Start slow with 15 minutes walk, then speed it up to a trot. Keep him at a trotting pace for up to 2,4,6 hours..depend on how much work your dog can handle.

bulldogsrus
03-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Whats da correct way to use a E-mill? Can they come in real strong?
No not without working them in other ways as well. When on the emaill the belt is travelling under the dogs feet, all hes doing is lifting his legs up, so its more a anerobic workout, you will get muscular endurance but not strength. On the road the dog has to push his body weight forward so is a better overall workout.
I use the emill for cooling the dog down.

How Long?
Too many variables to answer, all depends on angle of incline, speed of emill and fitness of dog. Obviously as the dog gets fitter that time will increase.

As an example of this I have used an emill myself when I wanted to lose some weight, when I eventually started running on the road I found I could not go the same speed and distances that I could on the emill.