PDA

View Full Version : Best price kibble

evolutionkennels
03-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Although I 100% agree raw is best, for those of us that work a few jobs, www.petflow.com saved me 20.00 per bag. I was paying 92.00 for the nature's variety instinct with raw boost, I'd get a 11th bag free, one a week translates to 4416.00 per year. With pet flow.com, came to 3456.00 per year. Now that's a savings

Jon P. Lebron
03-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the link, Evo is this cheaper than Natures Variety Instinct Raw, this is what I am feeding my dog, but it's becoming to expencive and I don't have tje time to prepare a raw dish every day, so I was thinking of switching to what you feed your dogs, but didn't know how much is the difference, also do you wet this food or feed it dry?

Officially Retired
03-09-2013, 03:11 AM
Although I 100% agree raw is best, for those of us that work a few jobs, www.petflow.com saved me 20.00 per bag. I was paying 92.00 for the nature's variety instinct with raw boost, I'd get a 11th bag free, one a week translates to 4416.00 per year. With pet flow.com, came to 3456.00 per year. Now that's a savings

Is it a good product though?

evolutionkennels
03-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Well, I have fed wellness core, origen, and just about all high end foods. Wellness core was Okbut hard to keep weight on the dogs, taste of the wild was good but you had to feed double amount plus lots of hair loss, orijen a good food but is hard on kidneys, this is because tthey'd drink half thier water bucket daily. Natures Variety instinct grain free duck with freeze dried boost is the best I've ever fed. Super healthy coats, I feed very little of it, they hardly drink any water, and they go nuts over it. The stools are like picking up pieces of Styrofoam. It's as if almost all is digested. Other than the raw that I feed on weekends, I will never under any circumstances feed a different feed. It's that good. My girlfriend noticed a difference after a month and changed her cat food to the cat version.. What a nightmare it's been. The fucking cat is now turning flips all over the house going nuts. Anyway, short answer.. Best kibble out there. My opinion. And this is so eone that keeps a weekly log of weight, water consumption, and how fast the dogs pull me 6 miles on Rollerblades.

evolutionkennels
03-09-2013, 07:47 AM
I always wet the food. Miss Machobuck almost died one day eating her food. She is so greedy she inhaled it. I had to turn her upside down and beat the food out of her. Ever since then, I wet the food down. About half a cup of water in each bowl.

CRISIS
03-09-2013, 11:42 AM
i do that too evo, i put a cup of water and let it soak for about 20 mins, it IS somewhat detrimental to theyre teeth...but id rather deal with some fucked up teeth than a beat to hell liver.......

evolutionkennels
03-10-2013, 07:22 PM
I just cant tell you enough how good this food is. I never had them poop pieces of Styrofoam. Its as if They suck every bit of food out of it. Its a lot like when I feed raw chicken quarters. It doesn't even stink, and I can pick it up with my bare hands. again, if you have to feed kibble, you cant go wrong with he Natures Variety Instinct with Raw Boost. I was paying 92.00 a bag,now 71 a bag.... Hell, I'm happier than a man that just made grand champion

evolutionkennels
03-10-2013, 07:55 PM
If you have an allergy prone dog. The venison and lamb (http://www.instinctpetfood.com/product/instinct-raw-boost-grain-free-kibble-dog-food-venison-lamb) is the best.

OGDOGG
03-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Good post Evo! Very useful info.

Officially Retired
03-11-2013, 01:25 PM
As kibbles go, it does look like a damned good food ... I used to feed Nature's Variety a long time ago and (although a slightly different mix) it was very good :)

Do they still make plain label "breeder's bags" ?

evolutionkennels
03-11-2013, 01:30 PM
I don't think so. Could be wrong

Jon P. Lebron
03-13-2013, 12:57 PM
So i got the Chicken formula and let me say best kibble I have fed, the stool is small and solid, unlike with the other kibble, even more impresive is the fact that I fed it dry, not soaked.

No Quarter Kennel
03-20-2013, 08:23 AM
I don't really follow here and by no means being a smart ass, but if you are paying 70$ a bag, why would you not just feed RAW? I don't get it unless you have zero time to feed the dogs, which doesn't sound like it at all b/c I know EVO puts in a lot of time with his dogs.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if a 50lb bag is 70$ being $1.40 a pound, and you agree RAW is best, and RAW is BTW, cheaper than 1.40 a pound, then why not just feed RAW.

The covenience thing doesn't hold up as it only takes me about 5 minutes longer to feed RAW compard to Kibble.

I premix my weekly ration of organs, eggs, yogurt, oil, etc. in one large bucket.
The chicken quarters are already in a bag. I grab my bucket of guts, couple of bags of chicken and hit the yard. This along with supplements for 2 or 3 old dogs and I'm done feeding 17 dogs in literally 10 minutes.

Evo, since you mentioned you 100% agree RAW is best, I don't understand the logic. There must be something else I'm not privy to and by all means, I'm always looking to learn so I'm just trying to piece this thing together.

jr1
07-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Hey evo ..I was looking at the blue wilderness food which is high in protein ..I think its 35 percent..is that to much protein.thanks

No Quarter Kennel
07-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Still don't get it. You guys are soaking food, 20 minutes would seem standard to do so, but you don't feed a RAW diet that is actually cheaper than this $70 a bag stuff. Strange logic.

RHC
07-15-2013, 05:47 PM
The thing about websites like this is they overprice their products already. Plus shipping would be crazy high because of the weight.

Officially Retired
07-16-2013, 04:59 AM
Still don't get it. You guys are soaking food, 20 minutes would seem standard to do so, but you don't feed a RAW diet that is actually cheaper than this $70 a bag stuff. Strange logic.

+1

Not to mention soaking in water still doesn't restore the nutritional elements destroyed by the kibbbling process.

ToTheDogs
07-16-2013, 01:18 PM
This site is WAY over priced. My local feed store sells the same Blue Buffalo for $10 cheaper per bag, plus no shipping. Victor's is the BEST kibble to feed, do the research.

CRISIS
07-16-2013, 02:17 PM
im trying something new.....when feeding a COMPLETE RAW diet with organs,oils,veggies @ guts..... its not cheaper than kibble........ jacks ECONOMICAL RAW is however, and ive gotten better results with that than any kibble ive fed...... however, my peice of mind that theyre getting complet wholsome nutrition that compares to a complete raw diet,....just wasnt there....

so what im doing no is instead of a cup of brown rice (as a filler), im substituting with 1 cup of quality soaked kibble...... with that im still adding 1/2 raw chicken quarter... 1 softboiled egg...1 tablspoon of lard/mantec (or coconut oil)... a dabble of olive oil....a tablespoon of yogurt.....and a atblespoon of diatamaceous earth.......& 1/2 daily multivitamin

whatever nutrition i may have been deficiant on.... im thinkin will be provided with the kibble........... ill update with results.................

CRISIS
07-16-2013, 02:19 PM
i know the digestion rates differ.... but im thinking that info is based on the assumption folks feed the kibble dry....plus with the probiotics added & it being soaked....... im only gettin 1 pile of shit a day..... somethin must be right....

Black Hand
07-16-2013, 02:38 PM
it is cheaper if you do it right and get your food from various places. definitely cheaper if you're getting your stuff from chicken houses and what not. If you just shop at Walmart you're not gonna come out on top. shopping when things are on sale saves you a lot also. I feed only raw and 50 bucks takes me to 2 weeks with 4 dogs.

CRISIS
07-16-2013, 02:48 PM
$50 on chicken.... wal mart used to be $5 a bag for 10lb quarters, but now its pushing $8.

CRISIS
07-16-2013, 02:52 PM
im not talkin about economical raw im talkin compllete, chicken,beef,organs/guts,veggies,ect...... it gets up there.... if your local to chicken houses or a meat processing plant.. your in business... but to the residential folks...its tough lol

Black Hand
07-16-2013, 10:25 PM
I don't spend 50 bucks on chicken... If I really wanted to be skimpy I would do 5 lb bag of rice. 3 trays of chicken, chicken liver, 3 trays of chicken hearts n gizzards, 32 oz yogurt... that puts you around 30 dollars before taxes. You still have 20 dollars for extra meat, 32 oz of salmon oil at 11$ on that website, eggs, veggies or w/e u don't happen to have at the house already. That should last you two weeks with 4 dogs. I always have extra shit at the house that I will add if money is tight.

Black Hand
07-16-2013, 10:49 PM
What happens to me is I intend to be on a budget, but I don't know anyone who only goes to the store twice a month. So I try to budget things out but everytime I go to the store I spend 8 dollars on a bag of quarters here, 10 bucks on bunch of bags of sardines nextime, 8 dollars on big tube of ground. So by spending extra at the store each time which basically equals a value meal at a fast food joint, my freezer is still full at the end of the month. N I end up with a lot of variety cuz Im not gonna buy the same stuff that's already been sittin in my freezer for a week.

Officially Retired
07-17-2013, 02:09 AM
it is cheaper if you do it right and get your food from various places. definitely cheaper if you're getting your stuff from chicken houses and what not. If you just shop at Walmart you're not gonna come out on top. shopping when things are on sale saves you a lot also. I feed only raw and 50 bucks takes me to 2 weeks with 4 dogs.

It's cheaper, period.

I've already done the math in my book.

No well-planned raw diet is $2-3/lb. Top end kibble is at least $2-$3.00/lb.

CRISIS
07-17-2013, 05:24 AM
8$ a tube? What section is thay in? $25-30 for the 27% im buying....

CRISIS
07-17-2013, 05:24 AM
Are they**

Black Hand
07-17-2013, 10:11 PM
That's because you're buying the long tube of beef. if you're broke, you dont buy the biggest tube u can find just like u don't buy the biggest bag of rice u can find. you buy the 5 or 10 pound bag and use the extra cash on something else in the diet.

SGC
07-19-2013, 08:05 PM
so what im doing no is instead of a cup of brown rice (as a filler), im substituting with 1 cup of quality soaked kibble......

with that im still adding 1/2 raw chicken quarter... 1 softboiled egg...1 tablspoon of lard/mantec (or coconut oil)... a dabble of olive oil....a tablespoon of yogurt.....and a atblespoon of diatamaceous earth.......& 1/2 daily multivitamin

whatever nutrition i may have been deficiant on.... im thinkin will be provided with the kibble........... ill update with results.................

I fed a very similar diet for over 10 years and the old dog did great on it.

Raw chicken thigh with the bone in the mornings and a 1/2 cup of quality kibble soaked in warm water at night. Plus some salmon oil, plain yogurt, some apple cider vinegar, an egg once in awhile, liver and organ meat when I had it, etc.

The old dog did very well on this, good coat and skin, no itchy ears, very little stool, it was a good diet. Unfortunately at age 12 the old dog can't eat chicken nor raw anymore... but she did fine on this for a long time.

drz
05-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the link, Evo is this cheaper than Natures Variety Instinct Raw, this is what I am feeding my dog, but it's becoming to expencive and I don't have tje time to prepare a raw dish every day, so I was thinking of switching to what you feed your dogs, but didn't know how much is the difference, also do you wet this food or feed it dry?

What I do with premixed raw patties like Nature's Variety Raw is use it as part of my feed for its organ meat and veggies and just add chicken quarters or other muscle meats which I can get for cheaper cost. For example, one 8oz raw patty and chicken quarter would be one meal. Brings the cost down a little for those that feed the NV raw patties alone, which can be costly. I personally would just go with Jack raw diet plan.

bamaman
05-10-2014, 03:35 PM
http://www.sportmix.com/dog/wholesomesChickenMealRice.php. OK this is not grain free but it has no Wheat,Soy or Corn ..They use Brown Rice instead and it's some very nice feed..I was feeding Diamond Naturals and I switched to this and it's 27 bucks for 40 lbs vs 32 buck for 40 lbs I was paying for Diamond N.Transition we'll there wasn't any from the first day on the SportsMix Wholesomes the stools were firm and as black as the midnight sky..Y ou can click on the flavors on the left and pull up the ingredients on the link I provided.Hey I know it's not grain free or raw but it's some very good feed.Just wanted to maybe give people another option that can't afford or don't feed grain free or raw.

blood brothers
05-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Victor corn free....also has additives for digestion and muscle growth...24/20 40 lb. 35.00 in my neck of the woods.....victor is out of Texas....probably cheaper on the west coast

Turbo911
12-07-2019, 02:50 PM
Just wondering what kibble feeders are feeding now with all the insight and information out now on canine nutrition? From the DCM grain free news happening to raw feeding communities everywhere.

CLUTCH
01-16-2020, 01:08 PM
Have anyone ever tried Simply Nourish lamb & oatmeal recipe?

apeman
01-18-2020, 08:09 AM
Fromm (Gold)

Frank43
01-21-2020, 07:19 AM
Did all the old school people drop off. i haven't seen any of the experienced guys comment in a long time.

BONEDADDY
02-01-2021, 03:02 AM
Fromm (Gold)

I'm trying this now with some raw meat mixed in. Seems to be working for my dogs.