PDA

View Full Version : Old Stud

cmoor
03-14-2013, 07:50 PM
I guess this is more of a question, pertaining to a dog being bred for the very first time. What is the oldest stud (that you know of, not heard of) that has produced a litter in his first breeding. I have a stud that I just bred for the very first time and he is 11 years old. I don't expect to get anything, but I was curious. I remember the Milkman acquired a dog that I think was 9 and tried to get him to sire a litter. He never got anything off of him or his littermate sister. I think that I waited way to long, just working on other things and kept him on the back burner. It's hard to believe he is 11, had him every since he was 5 months old, boy how time flies. By the way Jack, Bullet will be 13 this year (Timex x Kitana).

blak
03-15-2013, 08:53 AM
I was told Black Biter was bred at 15 years old and past out doing so. He sired that litter too. That was his last breeding, told to me by his last owner.

blak

skipper
03-15-2013, 09:32 AM
i just recently got a pup from a friend whos sire is 15-16. soso boys blood.

Officially Retired
03-17-2013, 09:33 AM
I guess this is more of a question, pertaining to a dog being bred for the very first time. What is the oldest stud (that you know of, not heard of) that has produced a litter in his first breeding. I have a stud that I just bred for the very first time and he is 11 years old. I don't expect to get anything, but I was curious. I remember the Milkman acquired a dog that I think was 9 and tried to get him to sire a litter. He never got anything off of him or his littermate sister. I think that I waited way to long, just working on other things and kept him on the back burner. It's hard to believe he is 11, had him every since he was 5 months old, boy how time flies. By the way Jack, Bullet will be 13 this year (Timex x Kitana).

Nice to hear one of those is still alive :)

I wish I could give you "one" answer, but unfortunately there just isn't one. Some studs are still fertile at that age, some are not (but can be worked with to produce again), some are not (and no help will get them back again), while other studs aren't even alive at that age.

Regarding your particular stud, there is no way to know without an examination by a reproductive vet. He will analyze the semen and give you an exact assessment. That is pretty much the "first class" way to go, with the rest being guesswork.

If you want a "general answer" in reference to time, the general rule I was told (by a reproductive vet) is that, in any stud dog that hasn't ejaculated for a very long time, it is best to jerk them off maybe 2 weeks prior to "the real deal" mating, because that will flush all of the old, dead sperm out of the way ... so that the next load (that goes into the bitch) is using a freshly-rejuvinated load of semen.

Hope this helps,

Jack

cmoor
03-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Appreciate the responses, was told something similar. I was told, that a dog that was never bred would lose his ability to produce sperm more rapidly then a dog that was bred
in a breeding program.

No Quarter Kennel
03-22-2013, 07:09 AM
My Tupark dog wasn't bred until he was 9, produced a litter of 6 first go. He's got a litter due April 5th, definitely pregnant and he's bred to 2 other bitches, too early to tell.

HOWEVER, Tupark looks incredible for being 10 now. Very young looking dog who is on a RAW diet, tribulus, wheat germ oil, zinc and is taking some arthritis sups cause he be old.

This is him and every dog is different.

Nash
03-22-2013, 08:57 AM
My dog managed well at the age of almost 12. One tie, 5 pups. Not even planned but when he got on i tought we'll see.
He was spot on !

hogdog
04-17-2013, 06:39 PM
I can guarantee that if a dog is fed a properly balanced raw diet it will live and produce for much longer than if fed a kibble diet.