PDA

View Full Version : shaking front leg on puppy

R2L
03-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Anyone experience this with one of your pups?

One of my 9/10 week old females shaking her left front leg when he stands still or sits down. For the rest she seems fine and she's walking good.

Could it be from 2 much playing with an older pup or maybe a calcium deficiency because she was on diarrhea?

tasoschatz
03-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Maybe an injury during playing? I remember a pup of mine once, around 6 kilos, tried to get infront of an AmBulldog, 50+kilos, to cross a door while palying with each other. As a result he injured his front knee and it showed for some time. The greatest concern was the case of hurting the cartilage/ growth area since it could cause lack of development, bones grow from each end, not all over.

evolutionkennels
03-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Anyone experience this with one of your pups?

One of my 9/10 week old females shaking her left front leg when he stands still or sits down. For the rest she seems fine and she's walking good.

Could it be from 2 much playing with an older pup or maybe a calcium deficiency because she was on diarrhea?

Calcium deficiency.. Vitamin too

R2L
03-29-2013, 04:48 PM
It could be taso but she's walking fine. Let's hope not

Evo, thanks i think it's more likely. She was on boiled rice and chicken 2-3 times for 2 days, and i heard allot of minerals go the waste when a dog has diarrhea.

Normally i don't feed puppy kibble, but i bought some puppy lamb rice. Her stool is fine now, and it has a higher % of calcium in it. Also adding some vitamins. Figure i better not supplement calcium? From what i understand to much calcium can be more harmful then to less.

Any ideas how long it would take to recover/restore?

OGDOGG
03-30-2013, 12:34 AM
I had that happen to one of my pup too. As a young pup she needs more than boiled rice and chicken. Add some fish oil(O-3) and complete vitamin to her feed. Make sure she gets plenty of sunlight also. It took about a month for mine to recover.

Officially Retired
03-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Exactly. It's amazing how people always try to take shortcuts.

Boiled rice and chicken are simply not enough. Rice has almost no nutrition at all ... and chicken is mostly a protein/fat source ... so how in the world are these two items going to combine provide a full complement of vitamins/minerals?

If you're going to feed raw, do it right, or don't do it at all. I remember one genius fed his dogs ONLY chicken quarters for a month, and then blamed "me" when his dogs didn't do well, as if anywhere in any book (or DVD) I have ever recommended feeding only chicken quarters :rolleyes:

You can't even substitute hamburger meat for chicken. If you use hamburger meat, your pups will get ricketts within 1-2 months. Why? Because there's no BONE in the meat (as with chicken) to facilitate skeletal growth.

Jack

R2L
03-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Eh jack.... i know how to feed my dogs. Btw, im not feeding raw atm.

She was on complete food, I cooked her some rice and chicken because she was on diarrhea, just to calm the stumic for 2 days. Added some vitamins to them as well. Then her stool would be fine and i switched back to the kibbles. Some how she went back on diarrhea two times so i switched to another kibble which she is doing good on now.

In the meanwhile, supposedly according the answers she developed a calcium (vitamin) deficiency. So trying to work on that now, puppy kibbles got plenty of calcium and she gets plenty of kibbles, adding some extra vitamins and fish oil.

Thanks