PDA

View Full Version : Bloodline

mert
01-03-2012, 08:10 AM
When does the name of a bloodline change? After breeding the same family of dogs for ten years are they still(jeep.eli.poncho,etc..). Or do you eventually create a different line?

Officially Retired
01-03-2012, 08:24 AM
I don't know if there's an official criterion, but my view would be that when a dog is bred enough times with positive results, and that his offspring are interbred often enough with positive results, that said dog and his "family" become sought-after to some degree.

Not many dogs are going to have a bigger bloodline than Jeep, or Mayday, but when people begin to form a linebreeding program around some key dog and begin pooling its offspring together successfully ... and the results are able to stay competitive and continue to reproduce excellence ... it is at that point where I believe it is proper to call it a "bloodline."

CitySwamp
01-03-2012, 08:27 AM
I think when one person starts breeding around a dog.. Jeep-Tab-Gator-Blackjack... Yellow-Mayday- Barracuda all depends on the hound.. Like someone might have a son of barracuda bred to a daughter of Lukane and might just call their pup Mayday.. All depends on the animal...

mert
01-03-2012, 08:28 AM
So only if a dog is a producer of consistently good dogs does he create his own bloodline? Can a non-working dog create a bloodline?

Officially Retired
01-03-2012, 08:35 AM
I suppose you can create "bloodline" around any junk dog if you want, but how and why were they bred? To my way of thinking a bloodline carries with it some kind of performance expectation!

This is why some dogs of given lines "live up to" the expectations of their lineage, while others "fall short" of those expectations, so (to my way of thinking at least) if there is NOT some kind of performance standard that has been SET, and MAINTAINED, then no true bloodline has been created.

Jack

mert
01-03-2012, 08:52 AM
i can understand that. just trying to get a better understanding of how bloodlines are created. your book really opened my eyes to these dogs and helped me to make better decisions as to why and how to breed(i'm still studying the how to aspect).

red dog
01-06-2012, 01:57 PM
If I got a dog from someone that has bred those dogs for some time . I would probably refer to the dogs by the name of the person I got him from rather than some dog from 8 or nine generations ago , Unless the dog is super tight or heavy line bred on one dog , Which I personally am not a fan of .

STONEWALL
02-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Lines could change with a single breeding if it is not maintained through inbreeding.

Officially Retired
02-19-2012, 06:48 AM
If I got a dog from someone that has bred those dogs for some time . I would probably refer to the dogs by the name of the person I got him from rather than some dog from 8 or nine generations ago , Unless the dog is super tight or heavy line bred on one dog , Which I personally am not a fan of .

There is nothing wrong with having "the same dog" linebred on for multiple generations, so long as new good dogs are being used to perpetuate, not just "the name" of that particular foundation dog, but the superior performance traits that prompted the linebreeding program him/her to begin with ...

For example, I see some people breeding so-called "Poncho dogs" that are neither smart, longwinded, nor do they possess a controlling head style ... so all these guys have is a piece of paper that says "Poncho" in it a lot, but they do NOT have true "Poncho dogs" IMO ...

You have to perpetuate the traits of the foundation dog, not just "the name" of the dog on your paperwork ...

Jack

apeman
02-11-2020, 08:45 AM
Bump up for 2020...