PDA

View Full Version : When Work Begins

MEAUXTIVATION
06-11-2013, 08:48 AM
I was wondering when is the best time (age) for a hound to start working. I have a year old gyp that I let work the spring/float pole for no longer than 5 minutes and then take her for a half mile walk. What are yall opinions/methods on the right time (age) to start putting in work on a hound? Thanks in advance, YIS S.M.

FrostyPaws
06-11-2013, 04:38 PM
I start "working" my dogs as 4-5 month old pups. It's nothing for them to chase the flirtpole for 10 minutes at a time 3-4 times a week. Flirtpoling and walking aren't what I'd even call work. It's more enjoyment for the dog than anything else. Same with a springpole.

skipper
06-11-2013, 10:59 PM
I do the same. introducing them to the workouts u prefer to use at an early age will save u alot of work in later when its time to really work em.

EWO
06-12-2013, 04:10 AM
Agreed with the above. I put mine on a mill at four and five months old. Some spin it, some do not but it gets them accustomed to it. The flirtpole and the walking is more of a game to them at the young age. When they are young you can introduce them to just about anything. Always be careful with things that can hurt their young teeth.
As far as a one year old I would say start light and work your way up on whatever exercise the dog does best. At one he/she should be able to handle a pretty decent amount of work. Walking is just about as safe as it gets. Use the spring pole/flirt pole til the dog says he is done and then do not force it. Let the gains be gradual. And there is no need to peak a dog for a long period of time. EWO

Nextlevel
06-12-2013, 04:37 AM
at a young age you are basically training the pup how to work which will make it easier on you down the road you also might want to teach your pup to play with a ball once the pup can run with that ball in its mouth you are off to a good start

MEAUXTIVATION
06-12-2013, 06:08 AM
She has a high prey drive; she loves the flirtpole/springpole, tennis ball, basketballs, and pretty much anything that moves. I usually just let her get about 10 minutes since she is a hardworker and be asking for more. I just don't wanna over work her but I will gradually progress with her on the time. Appreciate the info!

FrostyPaws
06-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Meau, you're not in a keep. You're not going to overwork in 10 minutes. She's just having fun.