PDA

View Full Version : deworming pups

bently
07-17-2013, 05:02 AM
just aquired a couple of pups from a old friend of mine and he claimed that he just dewormed the pups twice, 2 days before i picked pups and and the day before i aquired them. this morning i woke up to bloated styomachs, loose, bloody stools where u could see the worms and tapeworm segments, which looks like little white grains. i called him up this morning and he told me he has been using 8-1 safegaurd 4 dewormer which i never heard of.

the pups will be six weeks in a couple of days, so i was going to deworm them myself but didnt want to deworm them again if the had just been wormed a couple days before.

any suggestions on how long should i wait until i worm them with a different dewormer, or do you think they will be fine with time

R2L
07-17-2013, 05:09 AM
i would def deworm them today with a good wormer. and repeat in 14 days.

bently
07-17-2013, 06:09 AM
ok will do thnx bro.

tasoschatz
07-17-2013, 07:41 AM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1458
What I use monthly, never had any problems.

CRISIS
07-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Safeguard is fenbenzole, fendbenzol takes 3 consecutive days of treatment to be effective, if you dont do it correctly & underdose..... In theory your creating a "super worm" thats going to be harder to kill! Same goes with antibiotics.....

ponchday
07-17-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm using the safeguard for goats on my new pup

bently
07-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Just curious why for goats. Do u worry about overdosing, or it being to strong for the pups

bently
07-18-2013, 04:25 PM
thnx guys as of right now the pups are doing fine and I put them on nemex-2 dewormer

ponchday
07-18-2013, 05:21 PM
The safeguard for goats is in liquid form easier to measure out

Officially Retired
07-19-2013, 02:59 AM
Safeguard is fenbenzole, fendbenzol takes 3 consecutive days of treatment to be effective, if you dont do it correctly & underdose..... In theory your creating a "super worm" thats going to be harder to kill! Same goes with antibiotics.....

3 consecutive days, twice daily, at the correct dose.

Officially Retired
07-19-2013, 03:15 AM
Just curious why for goats. Do u worry about overdosing, or it being to strong for the pups

The "for goats" stuff is nonsense. It's just a smaller bottle, labeled for goats, rather than a larger bottle labeled for cows.

Like Crisis said, the drug is Fenbendazole 10%, whether it's for cows, goats, or dogs. If you use it for dogs, do so at 1 ml per 4 lb, twice daily, for 3 days in a row.

It is a pain in the ass to use, quite frankly, and I would only use it if my dog had whips ... or maybe once in a blue moon for something different.

Unless you have a confirmed case of whips, which Pyrantel doesn't get, Pyrantel is a better choice for roundworms by far.

Jack

Officially Retired
07-19-2013, 03:17 AM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1458
What I use monthly, never had any problems.

Why do you give that drug monthly? It's expensive as hell, and does nothing for any worm besides tapes, which most dogs don't have if they're de-flead.

bently
07-19-2013, 05:00 AM
i was reccomended to use Strongid-T but couldn't find it at my tractor supply store so i have them on nemex-2 and so far its doing its job. I wormed them yesterday, and will worm them again in a couple days, and hopefully they be worm free.

Officially Retired
07-19-2013, 06:22 AM
You're wasting your money on Nemex 2. Also, there are several posts on this forum giving you options that are a lot cheaper.

It pays to read the other threads here, as they're right under yours.

Have you read the Saving Money section of my book? Would save you hundreds and hundreds of dollars. It would literally cost you $1,100 to buy what $40 would buy you, shopping smart (no shit).

Jack

tasoschatz
07-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Why do you give that drug monthly? It's expensive as hell, and does nothing for any worm besides tapes, which most dogs don't have if they're de-flead.

Wrong link, my mistake, this is the correct one http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1459&rel=1
I rely on my vet for medical advice, I do not have many dogs to take care of, regarding costs, and I assume that europeans might tend to use other meds than americans depending on manufacturer. In full honesty, I never considered medication and feeding expenses for my dogs, maby because I do not have a large number of animals or that I can afford it. To me is just vet expenses and compared to USA that a visit might cost a leg and an arm, here I can have a full operation for eg with $300.

CRISIS
09-16-2013, 09:08 AM
holy shit.....twice daily??? .... did not know that.... ive been doing 1 daily for 5 days just to knock out potential ghiardia..... but good to know....learn something new everyday.....

Officially Retired
09-30-2013, 02:31 PM
holy shit.....twice daily??? .... did not know that.... ive been doing 1 daily for 5 days just to knock out potential ghiardia..... but good to know....learn something new everyday.....

Check out the latest Merck Veterinary Manual ... it says BID which means twice daily :)